SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ -- Meet "Fanwood's Strongest."
The Fanwood Fire Department won the Tug of War Championship and was named "Best Appearing Fire Company" at the South Plainfield Wetdown on Saturday, June 24.
The event celebrated the South Plainfield Volunteer Fire Department's 110th anniversary and its new Engine 7.
The Fanwood Volunteer Fire Company was organized in 1890 to protect homes in the Fanwood Park area around the railroad station. Fire equipment was initially stored in private sheds. In 1897, the original fire house was built on Watson Road across the street from the current fire headquarters located behind the borough's municipal complex at 75 North Martine Ave.