PLAINFIELD, NJ - On Friday evening, a post on the city's official Facebook page announced the appointment of Deputy Chief Michael McCue to the position of Acting Fire Chief in Plainfield.

The announcement came after now former Fire Chief Frank Tidwell shared on social media that he had been demoted and suspended.

Sign Up for Plainfield Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Read the full release:

The City of Plainfield has appointed Deputy Chief Michael McCue to the position of Acting Fire Chief, effective immediately.

Unfortunately, actions of the former Fire Chief, Mr. Frank Tidwell, compromised the integrity of the Fire Division and by extension the City of Plainfield. In order to protect, and act in the best interest of our Plainfield residents, appropriate charges were filed and ultimately upheld by an independent hearing officer. Accordingly, appropriate disciplinary action was taken. Unfortunately, additional details cannot be shared at this time as we place a high level of value on the privacy of our employees.

To keep the Fire Division running efficiently, protect our residents, and avoid disruption of essential services; we have appointed Deputy Chief Michael McCue to serve as Acting Fire Chief effective immediately.

Mr. McCue is Currently in his 40th year serving with the Plainfield Fire Division and his 5th year as Deputy Chief. He rose up through the ranks of the Fire Division and is a New Jersey State Certified Fire Inspector. He has served for twenty (20) years as a volunteer member of the Plainfield Rescue Squad, serving as Captain for the last three (3) years and has been a volunteer Fire Fighter for 12 years with the South Plainfield Fire Department.

Deputy Chief McCue was raised in Plainfield and still resides here. He attended Clinton Elementary School, St Mary's School, Union Catholic High School, Union College and has a BS from Jersey City State University.

Mr. McCue has two (2) children; Matthew who is in his 2nd year at Rutgers NJMS and Ryan who is in his 3rd year at Rutgers.