More than half of Americans either own or work for a small business, and small businesses create approximately two thirds of the country’s new private-sector jobs. At the same time, new businesses face significant and unique challenges. In New Jersey, we are helping small businesses grow by offering business owners specialized support. The NJ Business Action Center (NJ BAC), through our Office of Small Business Advocacy, helps entrepreneurs avoid missteps that may affect their business’s success. Our in-depth understanding of the state’s licensing and permitting laws can help owners formulate sound and effective solutions. We also offer a checklist for small business owners, covering everything from choosing a company name, to payroll and taxation.
Businesses can take advantage of four important resources that we provide, including:
- Real time, immediate mentoring assistance. The NJ BAC call center is a readily available resource for business owners seeking immediate assistance and can provide access to a variety of resources tailored to the small business owner’s needs. Open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST every weekday, the business representatives at the call center respond to entrepreneurs within seconds, fielding an average of 600 calls per week. Last year, the call center counseled over 30,000 businesses.
- Financing and incentive programs. The Office of Small Business Advocacy can refer business owners to a variety of financing options available through the NJ Economic Development Authority and community based micro-lending organizations. We can identify the specific programs for which your business may be eligible and help locate the best resources. Furthermore, we assist businesses with credit repair services to help businesses garner finances.
- Export Assistance. If a small business is considering exporting, our advocates provide valuable information to help grow globally. From exporting basics about regulatory compliance, custom procedures and reporting, we connect business owners with our team of international advocates who can help lay the groundwork for global success.
- “Resources for Business Growth” events. Throughout the year the NJ BAC hosts events that match business owners with state and county representatives and community partners, including the NJ Small Business Development Center (NJSBDC) and the NJ Economic Development Authority.
- ”Business owners are on the job every day and often don’t have time to travel to Trenton for support,” says Don Newman, director of the NJ BAC’s Office of Small Business Advocacy. “At our recent Monmouth County ‘Resources’ event, a small business owner was able to complete a loan application with one of our micro lenders – and as a result, was approved for their first business loan.”
About the NJ Business Action Center
Operating under the leadership of Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno, the NJ Business Action Center encourages the optimum conditions for business growth and job creation in the state. The BAC’s experienced business advocates work to retain and attract businesses to New Jersey – providing a customer-oriented approach to assist business of all sizes. The NJ BAC call center can be reached at 866-534-7789. http://www.nj.gov/njbusiness/
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer. Click here to submit a Guest Column.