PLAINFIELD, NJ - The Plainfield High School Alumni Association will hold its 12th Annual Hall of Fame Induction Luncheon on Saturday, June 24 at Giovanna’s Restaurant. Doors will open at 10:30 am and the program will begin at 11:00 am.
The eight Inductees include:
- Peter Griswold (PHS Class of 1964)
- Joseph Iravondo (PHS Class of 1971)
- Linward ”Lenny” Cathcart, Jr. (PHS Class of 1977)
- Dr. Michelle Rich Belle (PHS Class of 1980)
- Bernard Blake (PHS Class of 1981)
- Kirk B. Lattimore (PHS Class of 1982)
- Mary “Molly” Banta, Non-Alumnus Staff (1994-2016) - Honored Posthumously
- Patricia Brannon, Non-Alumnus Staff (1968-1995) - Honored Posthumously.
This year's recipients will bring the total number of Inductees to 166. The Plainfield Public Schools began in 1847 as the “Birthplace of Public Education in New Jersey." Several towns had schools prior to 1847, but they all charged tuition of $1.00 per year per student. Plainfield, by an act of the New Jersey State Legislature, became the first school district in New Jersey history to build schools using taxpayers money and not charge tuition. City High School, the first High School in Plainfield, began in 1867 and held its first graduation in 1870.
Plainfield High School is the second oldest high school in the state of New Jersey behind Barringer High School in Newark.
For ticket information, please contact Martin P. Cox at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or visit the Plainfield High School Alumni Association C/O Thirst For Knowledge on Facebook.