PLAINFIELD, NJ - The Plainfield Public Schools 2016-2017 Commencement Exercises will be held on Monday, June 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM at Hub Stine Sports Complex, 1410 Randolph Rd., Plainfield, NJ
In the event of rain, the event will be held at Plainfield High School Gymnasium, 950 Park Avenue, Plainfield, NJ. Because of limited space in the gymnasium the students will receive tickets to limit guests to 5. Only two loved ones will be able to sit with them in the gymnasium.
The Commencement Exercises will take place on the field at Hub Stine while the parents and families of the students view the proceedings from their seats on the bleachers.
On graduation day the students report to the field at 4:30 p.m. and administrators, family members and guests report at 5:00 p.m. Graduation begins promptly at 6:00 pm with a march from the track (closest to the Marlboro Street entrance) to the center of the field.
The students take center stage on seats arranged facing the center of the field. At the top a table holds the diploma covers and to the sides of the table are two large tents that house the administrators and dignitaries and the band.
The masters of ceremonies, Coach Carol Taffaro and History Teacher Reginald Clarke take their place and give welcome on behalf of the Plainfield School District.
The Graduation Committee is in charge of graduation. The Committee has been meeting since March to coordinate the logistics for the event, including: formulating an overall plan, communications, website support, invitations, tickets, cap & gowns, meetings with students, rehearsals, photography, parking, Project Graduation and the implementation of all these. This year for the first time we are promoting our graduation journal and have asked the community to purchase space. So far we have received pages from Mayor Mapp, YMCA, Timothy Priano, StateSide Communications and other credit size announcements. (See attached).
The students are aware of expectations for graduation day through meetings and mandatory rehearsals prior to graduation. The parents are informed via push notifications, the graduation guide and notices.
The following is a run-down for the day of Graduation, there are guidelines separate for students and administrators. There will be a program book outlining the order of events.
- 4:30 pm: Students report to the field and enter on the lower field on Randolph Rd.
- 5:00 pm: Gates open for family members and administrators. Administrators, Acting Superintendent and guests line-up at the beginning of the track by the Marlboro Street entrance. (There will beVIP parking at this location for all).
- 6:00 pm: Commencement Exercises begin promptly from the track to the center of the field in this order:
- The Band and ROTC lead the procession
- Acting Superintendent and Cabinet, BOE, High School Principals and Educators and Class of 2017.
- Administrators, dignitaries and guests will proceed to the tent on the field. Students will proceed to their designated seating. Parents and families will already be seated on the bleachers.
- 6:05 pm:
- The MC (Coach Carol Taffaro & Social Studies Teacher Mr. Reginald Clark give Welcome.
- The Star Spangled Banner & Pledge of Allegiance begin the event.
- Administrators get up and take their place in front of the table with diplomas to begin calling the names of the graduating candidates.
- BOE Members line the pathway to greet students.
- The names of the students are called in alphabetical order beginning with BOAACD, PAAAS followed by PHS.
- 7:30 pm: Ceremonies conclude. The students report to the lower field to pick up their diplomas.
- 9:00 pm: Project Graduation begins at Plainfield High School.
- 6:00 am: Students leave project graduation and go home.
All this information will be posted on the website under a graduation slide for all the students and their families to review as often as possible. PAAAS will have its own graduation and details about their event will follow.