PLAINFIELD, NJ - As a service to the community, the League of Women Voters will hold a Candidate Forum prior to the Nov. 6 General Election so that Plainfield residents can familiarize themselves with the local candidates who are running for City Council and Board of Education seats, and learn more about their platforms.
The forum will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 30 at Emerson Community School, located at 305 Emerson Ave.
Candidates who are running for Plainfield City Council seats have been asked by the League to provide a biography and answers to the following three questions in advance of the forum:
- Describe your City as you know it and explain how you will serve the constituencies.
- How will you uphold the checks and balances between the legislative and executive branches?
- What do you feel can be done at the municipal level for our changing demographics?
Those running for seats on the council are as follows:
Councilperson-at-Large Unexpired Term
- Elton Armady
- Ronald Johnson, Jr.
Councilperson-at-Large 2nd & 3rd Wards
- Joylette E. Mills-Ransome, running unopposed
First Ward Councilperson, 4-Year Term
- Ashley Davis, running unopposed
The League of Women Voters have asked the nine candidates who are running for Board of Education seats the following:
- As one of nine board members, what would you personally pledge to do to improve board functioning?
- What strategies do you recommend to attract a new and dynamic superintendent?
- Why do you think you should serve on the Plainfield Board of Education?
The candidates who are running for a seat include:
Board of Education, 3-Year Term
- Harry M. Watson, Jr. - Putting Children First
- Rebecca Perkins - Accountable Budget-Based Caring
- Melba Mullins - #GetMad!
- Alma Blanco - #GetMad!
- David Graves - #GetMad!
- Richard Wyatt - Children First Team
- John C. Campbell - Children First Team
- Emily E. Morgan - Children First Team
- Timothy A. Priano - Change the Game
Board of Education, 1-Year Unexpired Term
- Dorien Hurtt - #GetMad!
- Eric Andrews - Children First Team
You can download a proof of the full ballot for the General Election.
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.