PLAINFIELD, NJ – PACHA and the City of Plainfield celebrated the anniversary of Ecuador on Friday evening with dignitaries, music, food and a flag raising.
A large number of residents gathered as the festivities began and a lively celebration took place. The consulate of Ecuador, along with Assemblywoman Linda Carter, Freeholder Rebecca Williams and City Council members Ashley Davis and Charles McCrae were among the officials present. Maritza Martinez and Flor Gonzales of PACHA, the Plainfield Advisory Committee on Hispanic Affairs (PACHA) were the main organizers of the event.
TAPinto Plainfield was on hand to capture a few scenes from the event.
Here are a few fun facts about Ecuador:
Ecuador is a small country in South America. It is located on the western side of the continent and is bordered by Colombia and Peru. The Equator runs through the country and that is where Ecuador gets its name. The following are some fun facts about Ecuador.
Fact 1: The official currency in Ecuador is the U.S dollar since 2001.
Fact 2: The currency that was used before adapting to the US Dollar was called Sucre.
Fact 3: The main industries in Ecuador are petroleum, food processing and textiles.
Fact 4: The colors of the flag is yellow for the diversity in the country, blue for the sky and the sea, and red for the blood of those who fought for independence.
Fact 5: Ecuador has a lot of active and inactive volcanoes.
Fact 6: Ecuador was the first nation in 2008 to declare that nature has constitutional rights.
Fact 7: The official language in Ecuador is Spanish, in addition to some native languages spoken.
Fact 8: 95% of Ecuador's population is Roman Catholic and the other 5% is made up of members of various other religions.
Fact 9: Ecuador’s Independence Day is on August 10th.
Fact 10: The capital of Ecuador is Quito which has the second highest population in the country.
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.
Got a tip or an idea for a story? Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org