PLAINFIELD, NJ - TAPinto what's going on in and around town this week. Read on to learn more about upcoming Plainfield news and events.
- Budget deliberations continue, with Public Affairs & Safety / Economic Development on the agenda. The meeting takes place in City Hall Library at 7 p.m., 515 Watchung Ave.
- Baseball: a home game vs. Union, at 4 p.m.
- Co-ed golf: away at David Brearley, at 4 p.m.
- Boys & girls outdoor track: Quad vs. UC OK-Benedictine, at home at 4 p.m.
- Design your own T-shirt, 4 p.m. in Room 2 at the library, 800 Park Ave. For 11 to 17 year olds.
- The Plainfield Board of Education special budget meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the auditorium at Plainfield High School, 950 Park Ave. Learn more. Download the agenda.
- Deadline to submit your name to fill an empty Board of Ed seat is today. Learn more.
- Block Association Meeting: What's going on in the community? Come to the Plainfield citywide block association meeting. No agenda, no speeches, just a chance to ask questions and voice concerns. At the Senior Citizens Building, 400 East Front Street. Contact Officer Carter at 908-510-6013 for more information.
- Baseball: away game at Abraham Clark, 4 p.m.
- Softball: away game at St. Mary of the Assumption, at 4 p.m.
- Boys volleyball: home game vs. Westfield, at 4 p.m.
- Budget deliberations on Administration and Finance start at 7 p.m. in City Hall Library.
- Softball: Union County Preliminaries, at 4 p.m.
- Senior Space at the library, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Kid’s Movie: Despicable Me 2, at 3:30 p.m. in the Anne Louise Davis room at the library, 800 Park Ave.
- Learn the "Crucial Keys to Home Ownership" - topics to be discussed include: credit, financing and down payments; home buying myths debunked; owning vs. renting; working the numbers; foreclosure 911; and more. This event is a part of the H.O.P.E. Series, or Homebuyers of Plainfield Empowerment. Contact Annette Brent at 908-226-2557 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join the dance party at Plainfield High School in the Westry Horne Auditorium. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the show begins at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 in advance, and $10 at the door. For more info, call 908-731-4200.
- Baseball: away game at Rahway, at 4 p.m.
- Softball: home game vs. Abraham Clark, at 4 p.m.
- Boys volleyball: home game vs. Scotch Plains-Fanwood, at 4 p.m.
- Girls outdoor track: Penn Relays, time TBA.
- Softball: home game vs. Manville, at 4 p.m.
- Join members of the administration and the Shade Tree Commission for an Arbor Day ceremony that will include announcements about Plainfield's designation as Tree City USA, the 2018 historic tree, ceremonial plantings and photo opportunities for all. At City Hall Plaza at 11 a.m. For more information, call the Planning Division at 908-753-3391.
- The Plainfield Symphony Orchestra closes out its 98th season, with Mahler's Ninth Symphony at the Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church at 7 p.m., at 716 Watchung Ave. Purchase tickets.
- Immediately following the symphony performance, attend the "Conductor's Circle" After Party. Learn more.
- WallynZavy's Autistic Kids Can Do! presents its 5K Walk for Autism and Disability Awareness with the Plainfield School District/SEPAG. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Plainfield High School, 950 Park Ave. Cost: $10 per walker; $2 for children, $1 with school ID. Children less than 5 years old are free.
- Baseball: Union County Tournament first round, time TBA
- Softball: Union County Tournament, time TBA
- The Plainfield Education Association, or PEA, sponsors "Building Stronger Bonds" Mommy & Daughter Brunch, with powerful speakers and educational sessions. From 12 to 3 p.m. at the high school.
- It's National Superhero Day in the Children's Room at the library, at 12 p.m.
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.
Got a tip or an idea for a story? Email email@example.com.