PLAINFIELD, NJ - Here's a look at what's on TAP this week in and around the city to learn more about Plainfield, NJ news and events.
- The Neighborhood Health Services Corporation invites the public to celebrate National Health Center Week. This year's theme is "Celebratng America's Health Centers: The Key to Healthier Communities.” Come by from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm at NHC-Plainfield, 1700-58 Myrtle Avenue.
- The Plainfield City Council's Joint Agenda Session is at Municipal Court, 325 Watchung Avenue, at 7:30 pm. This is the only meeting in August. Download the agenda here.
- The Plainfield Public Library exhibit, “Plainfield City Wildlife” featuring works by local photographer Carl Monopoli, documents wildlife in the city, from foxes to frogs to birds and bugs. Learn more here.
- If you're 11-17 years old, create fun shapes, characters and patterns with perler beads at the library. From 4:30 to 6:00 pm in Room 5.
- The library is also offering a workshop on basic mindfulness and meditation techniques for beginners. All are welcome; no experience is necessary. The workshop will take place in the Anne Louise Davis Room from 6:00 to 8:00 pm, at 800 Park Avenue.
- Free computer classes in Spanish are available at the library, from 9:30 to 11:00 am - MS Word Part 1
- If you're 11-17 years old, stop by the library to make your own stamp art using foam rubber and ink. Combine stamps and effects to create landscapes, stories, faces and places! From 4:30 to 6:00 pm in Room 5.
- National Health Center Week continues at NHC-Cardinal, from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, 950 Park Avenue near Plainfield High School.
- Free computer classes in Spanish at the library, from 7:00 to 8:30 pm - MS Word Part 1
- For an intermediate level - learn Scratch programming at the library, and create video games and animations. You will also learn about logic and coding. Space is limited, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 908-757-111 ext 139 to reserve your spot.
- Senior activities at the Plainfield Public Library take place every Wednesday. Here's a look at what to expect this week:
- 10:00-10:30 am: Coffee
- 10:30-11:45 am: Chair Yoga with Valerie
- 12:00-1:30 pm: Hot topics/round table discussions
- 12:15-1:30 pm: Social services consultation
- 1:30-2:00 pm: Wrap up the day's festivities!
- Bingo Thursdays at the Plainfield Senior Center, open to Plainfield residents age 55 years and older. For more information, call 908-753-3506.
- This week, the 'Thursdays in the City" series at City Hall Plaza features Cocomama. The music starts at 7:00 pm, and the show goes on rain or shine. Grab a friend, and bring a chair!
- A Planning Board meeting will take place in City Hall Library at 7:30 pm, 515 Watchung Avenue.
- The Plainfield Special Improvement District (SID) presents a Family Fun Night at County Plaza, located at West Front Street and Park Avenue from 6:00 to 9:00 pm. Meet Wonder Woman, enjoy the car show, enjoy games and a bounce house, and more!
- The Second Street Youth Center (SSYC) will hold its free, annual Community Day event from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. There will be activities for the family, with rides, games, face painting, health screenings, and more, with presentations by community leaders and elected officials. The Calvary Baptist Church Choir and others will provide entertainment, too. The SSYC also plans to distribute book bags fully stuffed with back-to-school supplies. At the SSYC playground, 935 South Second Street.
- Mayor Adrian O. Mapp and First Lady Amelia Mapp invite the community to the 10th Annual Plainfield Community Barbecue, held in their home at 535 West Eighth Street, starting at 4:00 pm. Both new, non-perishable food items and toiletries are being collected for those in need in Plainfield.
Did we miss something? Email us at email@example.com with details.