PLAINFIELD, NJ - TAPinto what's going on in and around town this week. Read on to learn more about upcoming Plainfield news and events.
- Looking for a job? Check out Career Connections at the Plainfield Public Library, at 800 Park Ave., from 1 to 4 p.m. You can get help navigating the Department of Labor’s One-Stop website for Job Search Assistance. And you can get personalized resources and support for your unique life situation.
- Celebrate the library's Dragon Week with a selection of dragon stories, at 3:30 p.m. and again at 6 p.m. in the Children's Library.
- Plainfield's boys basketball team takes on New Brunswick in a home game at 7 p.m.
- Career Connections is back, at the Plainfield Public Library from 1 to 5 p.m.
- It's Dragon Week at the library; the movie "How to Train Your Dragon" will be featured at 3:30 p.m. in the Anne Louise Davis room at the library.
- The Board of Education Business Meeting takes place at 8 p.m. at Maxson Middle School, 920 East 7th Street. The Board may install Dr. Ronald E. Bolandi as its Interim Superintendent of Schools. "Pursuant to the approval of the Executive County Superintendent, the Board hereby authorizes the Board President and Acting Board Secretary to execute an Interim Superintendent Contract with Dr. Bolandi for a prorated, annual salary of one hundred ninety-six thousand five hundred eighty-four ($196,584.00) dollars." Additionally, the Interim Superintendent has recommended to the Board the appointment of Dr. Caryn Cooper as the Acting Assistant Superintendent of Schools. Download the agenda.
- Plainfield's wrestling team is at Westfield High School at 7 p.m.
- Plainfield's boys basketball team is at home against Union at 7 p.m., and the girls basketball team plays at Hillside High at 4 p.m.
- The Iris House five-week series, Healthy Relationships: A Group for People Living with HIV, starts, and will be held at HomeFirst in Hillside. Read More.
- The Historic Preservation Commission, or HPC, meets at 7:30 p.m. in City Hall's library, 515 Watchung Ave.
- The Shade Tree Commission meets at 7:30 p.m. in conference room 203 at City Hall, 515 Watchung Ave.
- Career Connections is at the Plainfield Public Library from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Plainfield's wrestling team's match is at home vs. Colts Neck at 4 p.m.
- Dragon Week continues, with "Pete's Dragon" at 3:30 p.m. in the Anne Louise Davis room.
- Origami for Beginners is in Room 5 at the library, for 11-17 year olds, at 4 p.m. For more information, contact Andrew Eason at 908-757-1111 ext 139 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Career Connections is at the Plainfield Public Library from 3 to 8 p.m.
- Dragon Crafts with Miss Mary Lou will be held in Room 2 at the library at 3:30 p.m.
- The Plainfield girls basketball team plays at Linden at 4 p.m.
- Career Connections is at the Plainfield Public Library from 1 to 4:45 p.m.
- The Plainfield Symphony Orchestra will hold its annual free family concert. "A Family Affair" will feature Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, with soloist William Chen, and Sousa's Washington Post March. This event will take place at Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, 716 Watchung Ave, at 3 p.m.
- A free Zumba® class will be held at the Plainfield Rescue Squad, located at 700 West 7th Street, at 10 a.m. If you like it, sign up for monthly classes that will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m. starting Jan 30. Walk-ins will be welcome for $5 per class. Call Valerie at 908-644-6707 for more information.
- Plainfield's boys basketball team plays Watchung Hills Regional High at home at 1 p.m.; the girls team plays away at Jonathan Dayton High, at 11:30 a.m.
- The Historical Society of Plainfield will host Discovering Immigrant Origins, a lecture at the Drake House Museum that will cover immigration, naturalization, and alien records, as well as other record sets and strategies for studying groups to identify immigrant origins. The lecture, at 2 p.m., will be led by Melissa A. Johnson, CG, of Johnson Genealogy Services, LLC, Middletown. Read more.
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.