PLAINFIELD, NJ - TAPinto what's going on in and around town this week. Read on to learn more about upcoming Plainfield news and events. There's something for everyone!
- It's election day. Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Get out and vote!
- Since it's election day, the Work & Study Board of Education meeting is listed on the district website is being moved to June 12, President Richard Wyatt told TAPinto Plainfield. Check the district's website for updates.
- Free sports physicals for all Plainfield School District students will be offered at 5 p.m. at Plainfield High School, 950 Park Ave. Students must pick up the application at the nurse's office or the athletics department prior to their physical, and bring it with them on the day of the exam. The free sports physical is good for one year.
- Senior Space, a place for older adults to live, learn and grow, is at the Plainfield Public Library from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- A Zoning Board meeting will be held in the city hall library at 7 p.m.
- Attend a no obligation, interactive financial education seminar. Prudential’s financial education series is designed to help you understand basic financial concepts like managing debt, protecting and growing your assets, preparing for retirement, and building a legacy. RSVP to Paul Rouland Sr. at 973-637-5921 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Rotary Club of Plainfield-North Plainfield will offer an afternoon of friendly but determined competition to young 12, 13 and 14 year-old athletes from area middle schools at its invitational meet at Hub Stine Field. Read more.
- A Planning Board meeting will be held in the city hall library at 7:30 p.m.
- There will be a special Board of Education meeting tonight, per President Wyatt. Check the district website for updates.
- The Plainfield Garden Club presents Shakespeare in Bloom, a garden tour in Cedar Brook Park. The Shakespeare Garden was built in 1927 by the famous landscape design firm for Frederick Law Olmstead, and is planted only with flowers cited in the works of William Shakespeare. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Rain Date: Sunday, June 10.
- Grace Episcopal Church is holding its annual yard sale at 600 Cleveland Ave. from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more information, all the church office at 908-756-1520.
- A free rabies vaccination clinic will be held at the fire department's headquarters, 315 Central Ave., from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. For more information, call the Plainfield Division of Health at 908-753-3092.
- Let's go fishing at this free Hooked on Fishing, Not Drugs event! Prizes will be given out for most fish caught, and biggest fish caught (for 16 years or younger). No license is required to participate. At Cedar Brook Park pond, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Father's Day Arts & Crafts at Hannah Atkins, from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- The Organization for Recovery presents its 4th Annual Community Outreach & HIV Awareness event from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 200 West Front Street. There will HIV education and free testing, other tests, giveaways, raffles and more.
- Girls Track: Meet of Champions at Central RHS, 9 a.m.
- The Coffee Box is throwing a musical festival! They will have a wide variety of talent playing jazz, Latin, pop, rap, R&B, salsa, and Andean folklore. Artists include the Elgarten Jazz Quintet, Alan Peters, Kalpas, the Plainfield Academy for the Arts & Advanced Studies Jazz Ensemble, Amadeo, Ali Gambino and W!LL JR. The event is free, and family-friendly.
- Open Talent Night at First Unitarian Society of Plainfield. Learn more.
- The PAAAS Theater Studio Program presents Skeleton Crew by Dominique Morisseau. Two showings, at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. at 1700 West Front Street. Tickets for adults are $10; students are $5.
- The final performance of the PAAAS production, Skeleton Crew, takes place at 2 p.m.
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.
Got a tip or an idea for a story? Email email@example.com.