PLAINFIELD, NJ - Here's a look at what's on TAP this week in and around the city. Read on to learn more about upcoming Plainfield, NJ news and events. It's going to be a busy week!
Also, be sure to check out our EVENTS calendar page. New events and activities are always being added, and you, too, can contribute. Just look in the upper right corner of our site, and click on 'Submit Content.' Posts are free for non-profits, and there is a nominal fee for businesses.
- Storytime at the Plainfield Public Library, with Ms. Rosa, at 6:00 p.m. The library is located at 800 Park Avenue.
- Join the Community Choir, with Choir Director Wendell C. Woods at Shiloh Baptist Church, 515 West 5th Street at 7:00 p.m. Must attend three out of four rehearsals, and Nov. 27 is a mandatory dress rehearsal for the Dec. 1 performance at City Hall.
- The Iris House is offering free and confidential pregnancy testing, from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. at 630 East Front Street. This is being offered in collaboration with Partnership for Maternal & Child Health of Northern NJ.
- The Plainfield Historic Preservation Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. in City Hall Library, 515 Watchung Avenue. Yates is on the agenda. Download it here.
- It’s Anime Movie Night at the Plainfield Public Library. At 5:30, watch "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time," directed by Mamoru Hosoda.
- New Covenant Church, 225 East 7th Street in Plainfield, will host A Continuum of Caring Think Tank: Ministry in the Criminal Justice Context. Join the Union County Interfaith Coordinating Council to participate in the Think Tank to create a Continuum of Caring response to the hidden needs in our communities. There will be breakout sessions where you will learn from firsthand experiences about Prevention, Intervention, Visitation, Release Preparation, and Re-entry. Registration begins at 5:30 p.m.; workshop runs from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. For more info, call Elder Rod Spearman at 908-377-0143 or Rev. Ron Thomas at 908-477-4203.
- The brothers of Stone Square Lodge #38 will be serving Thanksgiving Dinner to the Senior Citizens at the Plainfield Senior Citizen Center on East Front St. They will be serving at 12:00 p.m. and are preparing food for approximately 125 people.
- Rev. Tracy Brown, Pastor of Ruth Fellowship Ministries in Plainfield, will be guest preacher at 7:30 p.m. at Calvary Baptist Church as they continue the celebration of Calvary's 120th Anniversary.
- Senior Space at the library will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Senior Space is a place for older adults to learn, and socialize through activities, classes and more!
- 10:00-10:30 a.m. - Coffee
- 10:30-11:45 a.m. - Chair Yoga w/Valerie
- 12:00-1:30 p.m. - Senior Space Thanksgiving Lunch - Bring a Small Dish
- 12:15-1:30 p.m. - Social Service Consultation
- 1:30-2:00 p.m. - Wrap Up
- Plainfield’s Planning Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. in City Hall library, 515 Watchung Avenue. The agenda is not available online, as of press time.
- Join Miss Mary Lou for crafting Thanksgiving Day decorations at the Plainfield Public Library, at 3:30 p.m.
- Teens and tweens, check out Room Escape, also at the library, starting at 4:00 p.m. Team up to solve the puzzles and beat the clock! At 4:00 p.m. in Room 5.
- Carefree Fridays are here! Members of the Plainfield Police Division will be "Bridging the Gap" at Plainfield High School. There will be games, food and music, and there will be a free prom ticket raffle. Free for all high school students with school ID, the fun takes place from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m.
- Give blood. A blood drive will take place at the Plainfield High School in the gym from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Eat a healthy breakfast, drink extra fluids, and bring a picture ID with you.
- My Intent: Make Your Own Bracelet at the library at 3:30 p.m. in Room 5. Make a free personalized bracelet embossed with a word that inspires you.
- The First Unitarian Society of Plainfield presents "Women Behind Bars Standing Tall," an interactive cabaret about domestic violence, addiction, community violence and child abuse, written by incarcerated women. This event will take place in the Parish Hall Theater, 724 Park Avenue. For more information, call 908-756-0750 or email email@example.com.
- World renowned double bassist Gary Karr returns to Plainfield on Saturday, Nov. 18 to join the Plainfield Symphony Orchestra for an encore performance of Jose Serebrier’s Nueve: Concerto for Double Bass. Commissioned by the Plainfield Symphony Orchestra for their 50th anniversary and written especially for Karr, Nueve premiered in 1974. Karr’s return to Plainfield, his former home, marks a rare public appearance and one of only two performances on the east coast in 2017. Purchase tickets.
- An After Concert Party will take place at 1412 Evergreen Avenue, immediately following the performance. Purchase tickets.
- It’s Coffee with a Cop at the Gumbo House & Grill, 631 Park Avenue. Get a cup of joe, and chat with Plainfield’s finest - no agenda! From 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Storyteller Rob Aptaker will be at the Plainfield Public Library at 1:00 p.m. spinning Native American folktales. All ages are welcome.
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women: A Day of Speakers, Art, Conversation and Healing, is a day of speakers, art, conversation and healing. The speakers include Plainfield Police Department Domestic Violence/Megan's Law Unit, YWCA Union County Domestic Violence Center, Union County Rape Crisis Center, the State of New Jersey, Office of the Attorney General Human Trafficking Task Force and violence survivors. The event will also include a self-defense workshop and a special performance by Plainfield’s own Dreamhouse Theater Company. Dreamhouse will present Breakfast with the Laytons - an original one act written and directed by Plainfield playwright Khatana Sumerlin. A complimentary light luncheon will be served. From 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. For more information, call 908-756-0750 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Plainfield Action Services, in partnership with Jack and Jill of America, Inc. Greater Union County Chapter, is holding its 9th Annual Community Coat Drive at 510 Watchung Avenue. For more information, call Korena at 917-703-1227.
- Rev. Ralph Branch, Pastor of Mount Calvary Missionary Baptist Church in Newark, will be the special guest speaker at Calvary Baptist Church's 120th Anniversary Dinner at Gran Centurions, 440 Madison Hill Road, Clark, NJ, from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Tickets are $60.00 for adults, and $25 for children 12 years and under.
- Rev. Dr. William Gerald Howard of Galilee Baptist Church in Trenton will serve as the keynote speaker at a 10:45 a.m. service at Calvary Baptist Church, 324 Monroe Avenue. For more information, call 908-561-5187. Read more.
- The brothers of Stone Square Lodge #38 will be providing 30 Thanksgiving baskets to families of autistic children through a local organization named WallynZavy's Autistic Kids Can Do! The program will run from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.