PLAINFIELD, NJ - Here's a look at what's on TAP this week in and around the city. Read on to learn more about upcoming Plainfield, NJ news and events.
- Plainfeld Vision 2025 listening sessions continue. Tonight, a joint session takes place. Contribute feedback in this Community Arts & Culture and Connecting Community session at duCret School of Arts, located at 1030 Central Avenue. The event starts at 7:00 p.m.
- Want to write a novel? The Plainfield Public Library, located at 800 Park Avenue, will hold a workshop tonight that asks, "What is NaNoWrimo?" This introduction takes place from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. in Room 4.
- Sleepy Hollow Realtors is now Re/Max Select. Mayor Adrian O. Mapp and members of the administration will hold a grand re-opening ceremony, and you're invited! Stop by 1304 South Avenue at 6:00 p.m. for the festivities.
- Free sports athletic physicals are available at 5:00 p.m. at the Plainfield High School Nurse's Office. The high school is located at 950 Park Avenue.
- Plainfeld Vision 2025 continues tonight at the Plainfield Public Library, 800 Park Avenue, at 7:00 p.m. Tonight's topic is on Municipal Government & Essential Services Performance.
- At City Hall Library, 515 Watchung Avenue, from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m, the Office of Community Development will be hosting an Informational Homebuyers Subsidy Seminar by M&T Bank, a repeat presentation. M&T Bank is giving out subsidy money in excess of 10K to assist people who intend on purchasing a home by Dec. 1 of this year. This money does not have to be repaid since it is equivalent to a grant. Amounts may vary from applicant to applicant. After Dec. 1, the grant amount will be $5,000. The details of the subsidy program will be provided, the many ways in which the subsidy can be used and qualifying factors and criteria will be discussed. While many people are under the impression that you have to have a large down-payment, a high credit score or a certain income to quality for a mortgage, that is not always the case. M&T Mortgage Sales Manager Robert Carrozza will speak in depth about Fannie Mae’s Home Ready Mortgage Program which only requires 3% down to qualifying applicants. The complete profile of applicants are taken into consideration when deciding if an applicant qualifies. There is no income limit to be considered for the subsidy. Information on M&T’s First Home Club matching savings program will also be given, for those people with more long range plans of purchasing a home in 2018 or beyond. To RSVP for the seminar please contact Annette Brent at (908) 226-2557 or email her firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Another session with M&T Bank will take place, in Spanish, at Los Antojitos Restaurante, 25 Watchung Avenue, from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
- The Shade Tree Commission meets at 7:30 p.m on the 2nd floor of City Hall in conference room 203. City Hall is located at 515 Watchung Avenue.
- Senior Space is a place for older adults to learn, and to socialize through activities, classes, and more. Yoga, art, healthy eating, and resources for Seniors are just a few of the offerings. The Plainfield Public Library's "Senior Space" agenda for today is as follows:
- 10:00 to 10:30 a.m. - Coffee
- 10:30 to 11:45 a.m. - Chair Yoga with Valerie
- 12:00 to 1:30 p.m. - Open enrollment: Let's discuss Medicare benefits, with a certified Medicare counselor
- 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. - Social service consultation
- 1:30 to 2:00 p.m. - The day's activities wrap up!
- Free flu shots are available at a clinic at St. Mary's Church, 516 West 6th Street, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Halloween Fun Night for the family at the Plainfield YMCA, at 518 Watchung Avenue, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Hubbard Middle School presents a PBSIS Thriller Halloween Party from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. There is a $5 entrance fee, or $3 with a costume! This party is open to all Plainfield Middle School students, and school ID is required. Hubbard students who earn 75 PBSIS points during the month of October gain free entry.
- You're invited to the Plainfield Family Success Center's Fright Party at 209 Berckman Street, from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. Wear your costume! It's free for all ages, but children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. For more information and to register, call Dashe' Counts at 908-731-4200, ext. 5239.
- Check out Doggie Howl, a chance to show off your dog's Halloween costume! Awards given for Best Dressed Small Dog, Best Dressed Big Dog, and Best Dressed Dog. Pet food canned goods are being collected for a local shelter. See you at 12:00 p.m. at City Hall, 515 Watchung Avenue, in the parking lot!
- The kick-off event for National Novel Writing Month happens at the Plainfield Public Library in Room 4, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- The Rotary Club of Plainfield-North Plainfield’s Fourth Annual Senior Citizen Pancake Breakfast will take place in the Fellowship Hall at Church of the Holy Cross Church, 40 Mercer Avenue in North Plainfield. Billed as being “free for senior citizens,” the event is a community service project for the Plainfield area to primarily benefit senior citizens who may have limited incomes. However, no one is charged an admission fee for the breakfast. The club invites everyone to attend, and those wishing to donate may do so as they enter or exit the breakfast. All donations will be given to the Rotary Foundation to support the worldwide effort to eliminate the deadly polio virus. Rotary’s “End Polio Now” campaign has virtually wiped out the disease in every country except Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- New Jersey Intergenerational Orchestra (NJIO)’s Outreach Ensemble will be performing in the Plainfield Library at 1:00 p.m. Read more.
- It's Homecoming! All are invited to attend Plainfield Public Schools Homecoming Game at 1:00 pm. Pre-game awards will be presented to senior players in the Class of 2018. The half-time game show will highlight the band and cheerleaders of the Class of 2018! Come support Plainfield's team!
- The Plainfield Arts Council closes out the month with its final performance of the Queen City October Music Festival. Enjoy some rock and roll at First Unitarian Society of Plainfiel from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free daily paper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.