PLAINFIELD, NJ - It may have been a rainy Friday in Plainfield, but the weekend forecast calls for clearer skies. Following are some events in and around town
- WallynZavy's Autistic Kids Can Do! and Plainfield Public Schools/SEPAG presents the Annual 5K Walk for Autism and Disability Awareness. The 5K walk starts in the parking lot near the cafeteria at Plainfield High School, 950 Park Ave. Registration runs from 8:45 to 10:30 a.m., and the walk starts at 11 a.m. A water station will be available at every 1K mark. Individuals can register up to the day of the walk. Adult registration costs $5; children 5-17 are $2, and children under 5 years are free. Learn more.
- The Plainfield Education Association is sponsoring the "Building Stronger Bonds" Mommy & Daughter Brunch, with powerful speakers and educational sessions. From 12 to 3 p.m. at the high school.
- Re-examining Criminal Justice with Andrea McChristian, Esq., a workshop sponsored by Frontiers International Plainfield Area Club, will be held from 1 ro 4 p.m. at Washington Community School, 427 Darrow Ave. Get tickets.
- It's Boy Scout Troop 5 Italian Night. Stop by the United Presbyterian Church for some dinner in support of Plainfield's Boy Scout Troop 5. You can dine in or take out. You'll choose from vegetable, turkey or beef lasagna with spaghetti, a salad, and dessert.
- The Plainfield Symphony Orchestra concludes its 98th season with Mahler at 7 p.m. at Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church. Immediately following the concert, there is an After Party event. Learn more.
- It's National Superhero Day at the Plainfield Public Library in the Children's Room at noon, at 800 Park Ave.
- The duCret School of Art is hosting a Paranormal Event at 8 p.m. with Psychic Medium Jane Doherty. Find out more, if you dare.
- The Cardinals baseball team takes on Scotch Plains-Fanwood in an away game at 11 a.m.
- The first round of the softball Union County Tournament is at Roselle Park High School at noon.
- It's the 15th National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. Learn more.
- It's 'Touch A Truck' time in Watchung Reservation. Families with children of all ages and adults are invited to climb aboard a variety of public safety vehicles, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Download a map of Watchung Reservation. There will also be a quiet hour, from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. where children sensitive to noise will be able to enjoy the vehicles on display. Learn more.
- A Craft Beer Experience will be taking place on at the Westfield Armory April 28 with one session from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Enter code TAPINTO when you order your tickets and get $20 off! All tickets include unlimited tastings and a souvenir tasting glass. Read more.
Want to #OptOutside? National Park Week concludes this weekend. This year's theme "is 'Park Stars,' celebrating everything from starry skies to superstar volunteers, park features, and resources. Parks, programs, and partners nationwide invite people everywhere to explore stories, experiences, and sites that brighten the National Park System and public lands."
You can #FindYourPark in New Jersey by visiting:
- Morristown National Historic Park
- Paterson Great Falls National Historical Park
- New Jersey Pinelands National Reserve
- Thomas Edison National Historic Park
No matter where your travels take you, here's to a fun-filled weekend!
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.
Got a tip or an idea for a story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.