PLAINFIELD, NJ - The upcoming weekend in Plainfield will be a busy one. From Earth Day celebrations to musical and literary events and more, there’s something for everyone.
On Friday evening, enjoy The Welcoming, a pop-up art gallery and exhibition, with an opening reception at 6:00 pm in the North Avenue Historic Arts District. Read more here.
Then, on Saturday, there will be plenty of opportunities to give back, have fun, and learn more with this robust lineup of events.
- Earth Day Community Cleanup: Refresh Downtown - a city cleanup event with the Downtown Plainfield Alliance. Meet your neighbors at the Plainfield train station at 141 East 4th Street at 9:00 am. Queen City Pride will be sharing tools, gloves and safety vests for this effort. Add this event to your calendar.
- Did You Know? Earth Day marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970.
- The LiVay Sweet Shop doesn't want anyone to go without breakfast. You are encouraged to participate in the Super Cereal Bowl Project - bring in a box of hot or cold cereal to benefit local food pantries. As a thank you, you will receive a 4-pack of mini cupcakes. Drop off donations at 104B Watchung Avenue in Plainfield.
- Listening Forum with Acting Superintendent Dr. Debra J. Sheard - Meet the new Acting Superintendent and express your opinion about the work the Plainfield School District is doing. Breakfast will be served at 9:30 am. The meeting will begin at 10:00 am.
- Local Author Showcase - The Plainfield Public Library will host poet Hubert Reeder and author Richard Jules Valvano at 1:00 pm. Reeder will present his latest book, Gates Found Four, a collection of poems containing art designs. Valvano will present his first novel, The Black Conservative: An American Hero, an overview of the political thinking of black conservatives through the two protagonists in a political thriller filled with suspense and intrigue. Read more here.
- Designing a Model School System: An Action Plan with Dr. Kaili Baucum Sanderson will take place at Washington Community School Cafetorium, 427 Darrow Avenue. For more information, call 908-868-8704. Presented by Frontiers International, this workshop is supported by funds from the Plainfield Cultural and Heritage Commission.
- Crescent Concerts presents A Baroque Festival, at 7:00 pm at Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church.
The Super Cereal Bowl Project continues through Sunday.
You might also like: