PLAINFIELD, NJ - The Plainfield High School wrestling team will travel to Scotch Plains on Saturday to compete in the District 13 wrestling tournament. It is the first time SPF will host the event. Participating schools are A.L. Johnson (Clark), Elizabeth, Linden, Plainfield, Rahway, St. Peter's Prep, Scotch Plains-Fanwood, Seton Hall Prep, and Summit.
The NJSIAA awarded Scotch Plains-Fanwood the District 13 competition when it opened up bidding for host sites in the fall. Coach Marc Fabiano and athletic director Ryan Miller threw the Raiders' hat into the ring. Host schools incur the costs of staging the tournaments, however they to keep the proceeds from admissions and concessions.
The thirteen Plainfield wrestlers who will compete are:
- 113 lbs: Jeferson Avaros, No. 6 seed (10-19)
- 120 lbs: Johnny Cruz, No. 5 seed (19-15)
- 126 lbs: Wilson Carrillo, No. 5 seed (20-15)
- 132 lbs: Jose Gutierrez, No. 8 seed (5-4)
- 138 lbs: Walter Pineda, No. 6 seed (18-18)
- 145 lbs: Skyler Frye, No. 8 seed (18-16)
- 152 lbs: Shaeed Greene, No. 6 seed (17-9)
- 160 lbs: Mcrae Nkellefack, No. 8 seed (8-15)
- 170 lbs: Angel Herrera, No. 7 seed (0-5)
- 182 lbs: Christopher Williams, No. 8 seed (3-13)
- 195 lbs: Jefry Collado, No. 4 seed (4-11)
- 220 lbs: Eric Rubio, No. 8 seed (5-25)
- 285 lbs: Christian Chajon, No. 5 seed (18-15)
Weigh-ins begin at 8:00 a.m., and the first match of the day will start at 9:30 a.m. Each athlete will compete in up to four matches (pre-quarters, quarters, semifinals, and finals), and the top three finishers in each weight class will move on to the regional tournament that begins on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at Union High School and continues on Friday, Feb. 24 and Saturday, Feb. 25. After the regionals, the state Meet of Champions will take place in Atlantic City on March 3-5.