PLAINFIELD, NJ - TAPinto what's going on in and around town this week. Read on to learn more about upcoming Plainfield meetings and events.
Chat with Plainfield's Congresswoman Bonnie Watson Coleman. The community will have the opportunity to ask the Congresswoman questions at the Plainfield Senior Center, 400 E. Front Street starting at 7 p.m.
Click HERE to get Plainfield Cardinals schedules for this week.
- A community meeting on the redevelopment process in Plainfield will be discussed in the cafeteria at Plainfield High School, 950 Park Avenue, from 6 to 8 p.m. According to a statement from the administration, “Mayor Adrian O. Mapp wants to engage residents in a discussion about redevelopment projects, and the tools used to facilitate the economic renaissance occurring in the City of Plainfield. The Redevelopment Community Meeting will provide residents with the opportunity to dialogue with Valerie Jackson, Director of Economic Development, and Bill Nierstedt, Planning Director, about the redevelopment initiatives underway in the city. Director Jackson says that much of what we do is about improving the quality of life for residents, increasing property values, facilitating business growth and expansion, and ensuring that residents have quality choices when it comes to housing, dining and shopping.”
- The Hispanic Scavenger Hunt begins at the Plainfield Public Library, 800 Park Avenue, and it runs through Oct. 15.
- It's Cinema Tuesdays at the library at 1 p.m. Watch Men in Black International.
- The Board of Education holds a Work & Study meeting at 8 p.m. in the conference room at Plainfield High School. Download the agenda.
- Plainfield's Zoning Board meets at 7 p.m. in the library at City Hall, 515 Watchung Avenue. The agenda is not available online. The meeting is open to the public.
- Plainfield's Planning Board meets at 7:30 p.m. in the cafeteria at Plainfield High School. The agenda is not available on the city's website, but according to a legal notice:
- The following matters are currently scheduled to be heard at the October 3, 2019, meeting: 1. Public Hearing to determine whether all or a portion of the property identified on the tax map of the City as Block 706, Lots 3-6; Block 711, Lots 1 and 2; Block 835, Lots 1-3, 6 and 7; Block 836, Lots 2-8 and 15.01; Block 839, Lots 9, 10, 14, 17 and 18; Block 840, Lots 2, 3, 5, 7.01 and 13; and the entirety of Blocks 101, 102, 103, 104, 704, 705, 712 and 838 should be designated as a Non-Condemnation Area in Need of Redevelopment in accordance with the Local Redevelopment and Housing Law, N.J.S.A. 40A:12A-1 et seq. 1. Public Hearing to determine whether all or a portion of the property identified on the tax map of the City as Block 835, Lots 4 and 5; Block 836, Lots 1, 9-14, 17 and 18; Block 839, Lots 1-8, 11-13, 15, 16, 19 and 20; and Block 840, Lots 1, 4, 9-12, 14 and 15.01 should be designated as a Condemnation Area in Need of Redevelopment in accordance with the Local Redevelopment and Housing Law, N.J.S.A. 40A:12A-1 et seq.
- A ribbon cutting ceremony for Quin Sleepy Hollow will take place at 12 p.m. at 1400 South Avenue.
- Baby O'Clock is an interactive program for tots from 0 to 36 months and their parents or caregivers. It will consist of books, songs, and rhymes, at the Plainfield Public Library at 10:30 a.m.
- Genealogy Club Meeting at the Plainfield Public Library at 10:30 a.m. Genealogist Gail Hahn will present her techniques for researching early New Jerseyans. This program is free and open to the public.
- Plainfield's Fire Division will hold a parade and safety fair starting at 10 a.m. The parade will start at 11 a.m., and the route runs from City Hall to E. Front Street.
- The Animal Initiative Committee is holding the 20th annual Plainfield Celebration of Animals at 1:30 p.m. at Leland Park, next to Cook Elementary School.
- Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church will host a free concert at 3:00 p.m. as part of its 175th Anniversary Celebration. A concert reception follows. The concert features organ and piano selections played by Cameron Kuzepski, the new Crescent Avenue Director of Music. Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church is located at 716 Watchung Avenue.
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.