PLAINFIELD, NJ — Here is a round-up of this week’s upcoming events in Plainfield. There is something for everyone in the Queen City. Did we miss anything?
- Stop by Barlow Elementary School for a ribbon cutting celebration for the "new" cafeteria and gym. Refreshments and a tour will follow. At 2 Farragut Rd., from 7 to 8 p.m.
- Free metered parking in the Central Business District during business hours of the 2019 holiday period starts.
- The Board of Education business meeting will start at 6:30 p.m. in the cafeteria at Plainfield High School, 950 Park Ave. As of press time, the agenda is not available on the website.
- Cinema Tuesdays at the Plainfield Public Library are every first and third Tuesday of the month — this week, enjoy watching Lion King, beginning at 1 p.m.
- The Historic Preservation Commission will meet in City Hall library, 515 Watchung Ave., at 7:30 p.m. As of press time, the agenda is not available.
- The Conversation of Your Life will take place at the Plainfield Public Library. Guest speakers will be on hand to discuss how to communicate your wishes for medical and end-of-life care. This event is free, and starts at 6:30 p.m.
- The Planning Board is scheduled to meet, according to the city's website, at 7:30 p.m. in City Hall Library. However, as of press time, the agenda is not available.
- The League of Women Voters of Plainfield is marking 100 years, and you're invited to the organization's holiday party to celebrate. The free event is open to all, and will be held at duCret School of Arts at 7 p.m. The school is located at 1030 Central Ave. Punch, hot chocolate and sweets will be served, and discussions will center on the 2020 Census and more. Reserve your spot by emailing email@example.com.
- The Plainfield PBA Local 19 is hosting a holiday toy drive for families in need, and they need your help. Unwrapped toys are being collected for children ranging in age from infant to 13-years-old. Donations can be dropped off at the Plainfield Police Department, 200 East Fourth St. through Thursday, Dec. 19. The free holiday toy giveaway will be held at the Plainfield Public Library. Here's a look at the lineup:
- It's Slime Time, 5 to 6 p.m., let's make holiday-themed slime!
- Watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas, starting at 6:30 p.m. Seating is limited to 100.
- Holiday Toy Giveaway, happening from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Gethsemane Temple Christmas, it's a holiday extravaganza! Enjoy a celebration with food, games, prizes, raffles and more. At 1405 South 2nd St, from 3 to 6 p.m.
- Plainfield's Fire Division is helping out Santa this holiday season, collecting gifts for boys and girls. Unwrapped toys can be dropped off at Plainfield Fire Headquarters, 315 Central Ave., through Saturday, Dec. 21. On Sunday, bring the kids to Plainfield High School for a free gift. They might even catch a glimpse of the big guy in a red suit!
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.
Celebrating Something Special? Showcase Your Wedding, Christening, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Graduation, Reunion and MORE on TAPinto Milestones! Free for a limited time.