FANWOOD, NJ -- On Saturday, May 18th from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Smash Kids Cancer will host a Music and Food Fest at LaGrande Park in Fanwood. The event will raise money to improve cancer care and bring hope to kids with cancer.
“We have all been touched by the debilitating effects of cancer, but there is nothing more heartbreaking than when a child receives the diagnosis,” said Mayor Colleen Mahr. “It breaks my heart events like this are necessary but we cannot let up, we must continue to fight this disease.”
All proceeds of the event will benefit Memorial Sloan Kettering’s pediatric cancer research. The event is led by UCVTS Magnet High School sophomore, Elizabeth Chin. Elizabeth’s brother, Connor, was diagnosed with bone cancer two and a half years ago. Connor was successfully treated by Memorial Sloan Kettering and is enjoying life as an eighth grader.
“Pediatric cancer research is extremely underfunded in this country,” said Elizabeth Chin. "Only 4% of the National Cancer Institute’s research budget is dedicated to pediatric cancers, which is why donations to Memorial Sloan Kettering’s pediatric cancer research are critical to making progress possible.”
- 11:00 AM-11:30 AM: Event kick off and DJ
- 11:30 AM-12:00 PM: Valencia House Band
- 11:30 AM-12:00 PM: Magician Mark Zacharia
- 12:00 PM-12:30 PM: SPFHS students with Sensation acapella group
- 12:30 PM-1:00 PM: Spectacular Yo-Yo performance
- 1:00 PM-1:30 PM: Chorale - Carl H. Kumpf Middle School
- 1:30 PM-2:00 PM: Atomic Tangerine band
- 2:00 PM-2:15 PM: Student duets
- 2:15 PM-2:45 PM: Golden Dimes band
- 2:45 PM-3:15 PM: DJ with game challenges
- 3:15 PM-4:00 PM: Crash Test band
Any donations or proceeds will go to fund pediatric cancer research at Memorial Sloan Kettering.