Free Event on April 21st encourages kids to stay active and keep learning all summer long
PLAINFIELD, NJ - On Saturday, April 21, the Plainfield YMCA is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active at the annual YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families. Healthy Kids Day is an opportunity to ignite children’s imaginations so that they can imagine what they’ll accomplish this summer. The day-long event features activities such as in-door boat races, healthy snacks, dance, sports demonstrations, a bouncy house, face painting, raffles, summer camp open house and much more! Each year games, healthy cooking demonstrations, arts and crafts are provided to help motivate and teach families how to develop healthy routines at home.
Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at over 1,500 Ys across the country by over 1.2 million participants, works to get more kids moving and learning, creating habits that they continue all summer long. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Research shows that without access to out-of-school learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. As spring turns to summer, Healthy Kids Day is a powerful reminder not to let children idle away their summer days. Instead, the Y wants families to focus on helping children imagine what they can accomplish over the summer.
Preview a Healthy Kids Day
One in six children struggle with food insecurity, and when children are hungry, their development suffers. That’s why the Y and Walmart foundation have partnered to help raise awareness of this epidemic.
Tips for Keeping Kids Healthy All Summer Long
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits this summer that can have a lifetime effect:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development. And to keep kids’ taste buds evolving, have everyone in the family try at least one bite of a new fruit or vegetable at least once a month.
- Read Together – The summer is a great time to enjoy books with summer program participants—and 30 minutes a day goes a long way! Take trips to the local library or create a family reading challenge to see who can log the most minutes of reading. Encourage youth to create their own stories as well.
- Get Moving! – Activities that require movement also help kids flex their mental muscle. Use materials in unique ways: ask youth to build models, manipulate tools or develop their own theatrical scenes.
- Play Together – Play may be the best way to prevent childhood obesity. By putting more play into your family’s day, you will soon find yourself getting the activity that will have your family feeling energized and strong.
- Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
The Plainfield YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day takes place at 518 Watchung Ave, Plainfield, NJ (across from City Hall) from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., and features fun, active play and educational activities, such as golf and karate instruction, pool activities, bouncy house, nutritional information and samples and health screenings.
Healthy Kids Day encourages youth and families to awaken summer imagination and this cannot be done without proper nutrition. Walmart Foundation is proud to sponsor Healthy Kids Day to raise awareness about the importance of food security and nutrition for youth and families.
Delta wants to ensure that kids have their best summer ever and is a proud sponsor of Healthy Kids Day.
Locally, Healthy Kids Day is sponsored by the following local vendors and sponsors:
- Walmart, Watchung
- Costco, Watchung
- BJ's Warehouse, Watchung
- Saker ShopRite, South Plainfield
- Five Brothers Vending LLC
- Neighborhood Health Center, Plainfield
- The City of Plainfield: Division of Recreation
- Eat Smart Vending Company
- New Jersey Department of Children and Families, Plainfield office
- Summit Medical Group Foundation
- Rapps Pharmacy
- Diggs & Hill Productions(DJ)
- First Tee/West 9 Golf
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day takes place at the Plainfield Y located in the heart of downtown Plainfield, directly across from City Hall at 518 Watchung Ave, Plainfield NJ 07060. For more information, call our Welcome Center at (908)756-6060 or visit our website at www.plainfieldymca.org and follow us on Facebook.
Editor's Note: TAPinto Plainfield is owned by Queen City Daily LLC, a division of the Plainfield YMCA.