PLAINFIELD, NJ — The numbers released Monday by the Plainfield administration indicate an additional five people have lost their lives due to COVID-19, with three reported on Saturday, and two more Monday. This brings the total number of residents lost since the start of the pandemic to 182.
How Plainfield Vaccinations Compare to Other Municipalities
Nearly 7.2 million coronavirus vaccines have been administered in New Jersey, with 3.2 million individuals now fully vaccinated, according to the New Jersey COVID-19 Dashboard. Gov. Phil Murphy's target is to have 4.7 million people who live, work or study in the state fully vaccinated by June 30.
Gov. Murphy said Monday 16 municipalities across the state with populations greater than 10,000 have under 40% of residents who have received the initial dose of the vaccine. A slide shown at his press conference showed just 16% of Plainfield residents received a first dose, but NJ.com reported the governor's office updated data later in the day, pushing Plainfield up to 37%. No other town in Union County made the list.
The governor said there will be "an army of boots on the ground" to reach underserved communities.
Where You Can Get the Vaccine
Residents of the Queen City who are 18 years or older can get the Moderna vaccine by calling the Senior Center at 908-753-3506, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Vaccinations are administered Wednesdays, 2 to 7 p.m., at Plainfield High School. Identification showing proof of age is required.
COVID-19 testing and vaccinations will also be available Wednesday, May 5, through Friday, May 7, from 1 to 4 p.m., at Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church, 716 Watchung Avenue. The free event is sponsored by the New Jersey Black Women Physicans Association. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The six vaccine megasites in New Jersey are open for walk-in vaccinations during select times:
- Atlantic County: Atlantic City Convention Center, 1 Convention Boulevard, Atlantic City, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Bergen County: Racetrack at Meadowlands, 1 Racetrack Drive, East Rutherford, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Burlington County, Moorestown Mall, 400 NJ-38, Moorestown, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Gloucester County: Rowan College of South Jersey, 1400 Tanyard Road, Sewell, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Middlesex County: New Jersey Convention and Exposition Center, 97 Sunfield Avenue, Edison, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Morris County: Rockaway Townsquare, 301 Mt. Hope Avenue, Rockaway, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news.
Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news. Download the free TAPinto App for iPhone or Android.
Have an idea for a story? Looking to advertise? Email email@example.com.