PLAINFIELD, NJ — TAPinto Plainfield takes a look at our top stories on business and redevelopment projects that defined 2019 in the Queen City. First up? Interest in redevelopment overall.
- Plainfield Downtown Buzzing, What's Next?
- Plainfield Zoning Board to Hear from Applicant for Mixed-Use Project to Include Bakery, Coffee Shop
- Plainfield's Planning Board will Hold Public Hearing on Condemnation Area in Need of Redevelopment
- Plainfield Zoning Board to Hear from Applicant for Mixed-Use Project at South and Woodland
- Master Plan Process to Shape the Future of Plainfield
The news of a plan to bring a Wawa with 12 fueling stations to South Avenue had both supporters and detractors. Many residents came out against the move at a planning board meeting that had to be moved to the high school to accommodate, but in the end, the project received preliminary and final site plan approval.
- Wawa Receives Preliminary Site Plan Approval for Plainfield South Ave East Location
- Plainfield Planning Board Memorializes Resolution to Grant Preliminary Site Plan Approval for Wawa
The arrival of Wawa meant that the Queen City would have to say goodbye to Giovanna’s, a restaurant that had been in business for almost 40 years, as well as other homes and area businesses. Demolition has been happening this week.
- Plainfield's Giovanna's Restaurant Gives Way to New Construction
- Giovanna's Restaurant, Popular Plainfield Dining Spot, to Close at End of June
As readers said farewell to one eatery, they welcomed another. Jessica's Cafe & Wood Fired Pizza burst onto the scene in June, and just a few months later, one can’t get in without a reservation. The restaurant has even made Yelp's list of the top 50 restaurants in North Jersey.
- A Grand Opening for Jessica’s Café and Wood Fired Pizza in Plainfield
- Jessica's Cafe in Plainfield to Offer Brunch Menu
- Plainfield Gets New Restaurant: Jessica's Cafe & Wood Fired Pizza
Quin Sleepy Hollow, the 212-unit development project on South Avenue, generated buzz with its October ribbon cutting ceremony.
The Elmwood Gardens project, a site bordered by Plainfield Avenue, West Second Street and Elmwood Place that includes 15 3-bedroom units and 43 2-bedroom units made the list of our top stories.
Queen City Coffee Roasters had a soft opening in September, and has been on a roll ever since.
- Coffee Shop on a Mission to Help Revitalize Downtown Plainfield
- Queen City Coffee Roasters Official Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Netherwood Flats broke ground on its 4-story mixed-use project at 829 South Avenue that includes 70 units.
Enjoy the look back!
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.
Celebrating Something Special? Showcase Your Wedding, Christening, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Graduation, Reunion and MORE on TAPinto Milestones! Free for a limited time.