PLAINFIELD, NJ — Plainfield's Planning Board is scheduled to hear from Applicant PL 611 Front Plainfield LLC of East Orange about its plan to construct a mixed-use project. The lots related to the project are a part of the redevelopment plan for the Marino's Tract that was approved and adopted in 2000, and amended in November 2019.
The applicant seeks preliminary and final site plan approval to build a five-story mixed-use building with 316 residential apartment units and 16,500 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor. The project would encompass the lots located at 611-19 West Front Street, 115-33 Waynewood Park, and 118-20 Plainfield Avenue. Variances for parking and landscaping, and waivers for storage space and balconies, are also being sought.
When the resolution (R 245-20) to both designate the applicant as the redeveloper and authorize the execution of a redevelopment and land disposition agreement came before the City Council on August 10, Councilman Barry Goode asked why it appeared under the Department of Health & Human Services. Corporation Counsel David Minchello responded that Economic Director Valerie Jackson had a previous work relationship with the developer that might present a conflict of interest.
Jackson previously held the position of Director, Policy, Planning and Development in East Orange.
The Planning Board's virtual meeting will be held on Thursday, December 3 at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom. Join the meeting here.
Read the full notice:
LEGAL NOTICE CITY OF PLAINFIELD NEW JERSEY PLANNING BOARD NOTICE OF VIRTUAL PUBLIC HEARING Application No.: PB-2020-15. In accordance with the Ordinances of the City of Plainfield, and the Statutes of the State of New Jersey, TAKE NOTICE that on the Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:00 pm the City of Plainfield Planning Board (the "Board") will conduct a virtual public hearing on the application of PL 611 Front Plainfield LLC (the "Applicant'') to construct a mixed-use project at premises located at 611-19 W. Front Street, 115-33 Waynewood Park, and 118-20 Plainfield Avenue, Plainfield, New Jersey and designated as Lots 2, 7 and 12 in Block 233 (hereinafter collectively referred to as the "Property") on the City of Plainfield Tax Map.
Applicant is proposing to construct a five (5) story mixed-use building comprising of approximately 16,500 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor of West Front Street, with the upper floors containing approximately 316 units of residential apartment units along with amenity spaces on the Property.
Off-street parking is proposed through surface parking and partial spaces located under the building totaling 371 parking spaces. The building amenities will include a resident lounge area, co-working space, a fitness room, community room, and a rooftop deck.
The Property is located in the Block 233 Redevelopment Plan - Marino's Tract (the "Plan). Applicant seeks Preliminary and Final Site Plan Approval and the following "c" variances, deviations and/or waivers from the Plan and the City of Plainfield Land Use Ordinance ("Land Use Ordinance"):
1. Land Use Ordinance §17:9-24 B Minimum 10 foot wide buffer around parking lot to adjacent non-residential use or district (Required 10 feet, proposed 2 feet);
2. Land Use Ordinance § 17:9-24 C (1) Minimum 5 foot wide buffer around all sides of parking lot (Required 5 feet, proposed 2 feet);
3. Land Use Ordinance §17:9-42D- Required parking shall setback 5 feet from property line, proposed setback 2 feet from the property line;
4. Land Use Ordinance §17:9-43B- Required 5% of interior parking lot shall be provided with planting islands, proposed 4.5%;
5. Land Use Ordinance §17:9-43 B (1) - Minimum width of landscaping islands (Required 10 feet, proposed 9 feet');
6. Land Use Ordinance §17:9-42 B(2) Required no more than 8 spaces in a row without an intervening landscape island, proposed 10 spaces without an intervening landscape island;
7. Land Use Ordinance §17:9-42E- Required: a parking lot shall be located to the rear of a building and/or the interior of the site where its visual impact to adjacent properties and the public right-of-way can be minimized. Parking lots shall be prohibited in any required side yard setback area or front yard area. Proposed, due to the fact that the property fronts on three streets, the proposed parking is to be located in the front yard from Waynewood Park.
1. Land Use Ordinance §17:11-8: Dwelling unit storage space - each dwelling unit shall be provided with a completely enclosed, covered storage space consisting of a minimum of three hundred fifty (350) cubic feet of storage space provided less than 350 cubic feet of storage space.
2. Land Use Ordinance §17:11 -8-B9b: Each unit above ground floor shall be provided with a private balcony area. Required 316 balconies, 152 balconies are proposed.
Applicant also seeks such variance relief, exceptions, waivers, permits, interpretations, approvals, or licenses that are deemed necessary or appropriate by the applicant or the Board, and/or specified by the Planning Board's planner or engineering consultants and which may arise during the course of the hearing process.
Any person or persons affected by this application will have an opportunity to present any objections to or offer comments on the proposed development. The Board does, however, have the right to exclude repetitious testimony. It is requested that anyone who anticipates undertaking cross-examination, introducing evidence and/or making public comment on any application advise the Board Secretary by email or phone in advance of the virtual meeting date. Please supply your name, address and the telephone number at which you may be reached on the night of the meeting in the event that you do not have the ability to access the meeting remotely by computer.
The purpose of this notification is to ensure that any additional documents to be identified or referenced at the virtual meeting can be available for review by all participants and members of the public. Nothing in this paragraph shall limit or block the ability of any member of the public to make inquiries; or offer comment or opinion on any application based upon the testimony and exhibits proffered by an applicant at the virtual meeting. Any person or persons wishes to submit written public comment concerning this application may do so by written letter or electronic mail submitted to the Board Secretary at least one (1) day prior to the virtual meeting date. Any written public comment submitted by written letter or electronic mail will be read aloud and addressed during the public comment portion of the hearing on the application.
Members of the public who wish to attend the meeting can choose one of the following options:
1. Computer/Mobile Device (by entering the link): https://zoom.us/j/96900711068?pwd=eFZFd3VEdTk5MG45MnRWTlYyRytSUT09 Webinar ID: 969 0071 1068 Password: pl2020 If logging in to Zoom via Computer or Mobile Device for the first time, please allow a few extra minutes to install the program (if using a computer) or application (if using a mobile device). Individuals accessing the meeting by computer/mobile device will be capable of making a public comment at the appropriate times during the meeting by clicking the "raise hand" button and waiting for the host to unmute them.
2. Telephone (for a higher quality, dial a number based upon your current location): US: +1 312 626 6799; or +1 646 558 8656; or +1 301 715 8592; or +1 346 248 7799; or +1 669 900 9128; or +1 253 215 8782 Webinar ID: 969 0071 1068 Password: 436143 Individuals accessing the meeting by telephone will be capable of making a public comment at the appropriate times during the meeting by dialing *9 on their telephone and waiting for the host to unmute them. Please contact the Board Secretary at least two (2) days in advance of the meeting if you need assistance in order to access the virtual meeting. Copies of the application materials, including any maps, plans and documents relating to the applications will be available at least ten (10) days prior to the hearing at the following web address: https://plainfieldnj.gov/cms.aspx?page_id=210&page_name=Planning%20Board
If you do not have computer access or are otherwise unable to access the application and supporting documents online, please contact the Board Secretary to make other arrangements to inspect same. The contact information for the Board Secretary is as follows: Rosalind Miller, Board Secretary, City of Plainfield, phone: (908) 753-3486; and email: email@example.com. In the event that the Board Secretary is not available to immediately answer the telephone, please leave a message and also call back during regular business hours. Date: November 5, 2020 PL 611 FRONT PLAINFIELD LLC By: /s/ Marsha M. Moore Marsha M. Moore, Esq. Attorney for Applicant Post, Polak, P.A. 425 Eagle Rock Avenue, Suite 200 Roseland, New Jersey 07068 (973) 228-9900 ext 220 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ($153.08)