PLAINFIELD, NJ — The Inaugural Kayla Spooner Memorial Basketball Showcase was held at Plainfield High School on Saturday, and featured six matchups over the course of the day.
The tournament was held in memory of Kayla Spooner who passed away in September 2017. Proceeds from the event will help fund scholarships for Plainfield graduating students who want to enter the medical field.
According to Terence Johnson, one of the organizers, the event was a great success. "Four of the teams that played have already reached out to me wanting to play next year, as well as our friends at Johnson regional."
Here are the results:
- Union beat Hackensack, 66-65
- Dunellen beat Dickinson, 68-63
- Newark Central tops Payne Tech, 59-56
- Irvington dominated over Sinai Christian Academy, 81-53
- Plainfield's Boys team lost to St. Benedict’s, 64-51
- The Plainfield Girls fell to Weequahic, 49-45
TAPintoPlainfield.net is Plainfield's free online daily newspaper for Plainfield, NJ news. Sign up for our daily eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter @PlainfieldTAP, and on Instagram @tapintoplainfield for all of your Plainfield local news.