Rahway’s Culture Crawl 2017 will fill the Downtown Arts District with artists of all types and genres as the event returns for its 5th annual celebration on Saturday, September 23rd, from 1-6 PM.
Throughout this FREE, one-day festival, the entire downtown of Rahway will play host to live performances, interactive art, sculpture, audio installations, spoken word, film, video, music and unique vendors. Culture Crawl 2017 will encompass over ten featured areas, including two main stages, in addition to pop-up displays and performances for discovery while strolling the city’s streets. Local businesses will be also be contributing their own activities to the day’s festivities.
“Last year’s Tesla-inspired event was such a success we decided to go bigger and bolder,” said Amy Garcia Phillips, Executive Director of the Rahway Arts and Business Partnership (RABP). “This year we extended the hours and moved the event to a Saturday. Culture Crawl 2017 is a day where we can truly embrace the cultural tapestry of Rahway through the arts.”
Among the Culture Crawl 2017 highlights:
- The day begins with a Rahway Yoga Mala, an all-levels event in honor of the world day of peace, scheduled for 8:30 AM at the Art Building on Irving Street.
- Two outdoor Main Stages will create a live music festival throughout the entire event, with an exciting line-up of bands that includes Man Dancing, Levy & the Oaks, Charlie Sztyk, Seamstress, Fire is Motion, Rahway Native, Matt Marlinski and many more!
- Grounded Aerial, a visceral, innovative combination of modern dance and uniquely rigged aerial elements, will soar from the rafters at Hamilton Stage
- The Rahway Reel Short Film Festival will offer short blocks of works, including pieces from Redglass Pictures that focus on such cultural luminaries as Ken Burns and Neil deGrasse Tyson.
- Hannum’s Harley-Davidson will feature a bike fashion show, presenting specialty bikes that are unique in design, along with pin-up ladies and an offering from Sailor Jerry’s rum.
- An area geared specifically to children, Art-Full, will allow kids to contribute to a yoga paint mural, take a turn at the giant, inflatable slide, and make art along with memories. Meanwhile, parents, guardians and friends can visit the adjacent Wine/Beer tent, and play some games while their kids create.
- Hosted by Bella and Luna, Rahway’s infamous Ambassa-Dogs, a pop-up dog park with a planned doggie-paw mural means that Culture Crawl 2017 truly has art for everyone.
In addition to the Art-Full area tent, another wine/beer tent will be offered at the Northfield Bank parking area, and Rahway restaurants will all be offering up their own Culture Crawl 2017 specials.
While the Rahway downtown is very walkable, a shuttle service will also be available to take attendees around to the various areas.
This event is RAIN OR SHINE. Exhibits and performances will be moved indoors in the event of rain, so there is no need to miss out on any of the excitement.
For a map of Downtown Rahway, a list of featured artists, and more information about the event, please visit www.culturecrawl.org closer to the event date. Teasers are currently up on the RABP Facebook page “Rahway Arts & Business Partnership.”