RAHWAY, NJ - The mission of American Repertory Ballet (ARB) is “to bring the joy, beauty, artistry and discipline of classical and contemporary dance to New Jersey and nationwide audiences through public performances and to dance students through artistic and educational programs.” This mission is fulfilled through: American Repertory Ballet, the preeminent classical and contemporary ballet company in NJ; Princeton Ballet School, one of the largest non-profit dance schools in the nation; and ARB's Access & Enrichment initiatives, programs designed to expose students and the local community to the art form of dance.
ARB’s Nutcracker is the longest-running production in the state of NJ, and one of the longest-running in the country. ARB performs the holiday classic each year at several local venues, including Union County Performing Arts Center, McCarter Theatre Center, Patriots Theater at the War Memorial, South Orange Performing Arts Center and the State Theatre in New Brunswick.
Rahway Community Mice Initiative
American Repertory Ballet would like to engage (6-12) local students, ages 6-10 years old (must be 6 by Oct. 1 and must be 44 inches in height or taller) as Mice in our public performance of Nutcracker on Nov. 19 & 20. Students will be selected by audition only. Anyone who is interested in auditioning must be ready to commit to the following dates/times:
- Saturday, Sept. 24, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.: Community Mice Auditions (Rahway HS)
- Tuesday, Sept. 27, 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.: First Rehearsal (Rahway HS)
- Tuesdays, Oct. 4, 11, 18 & 25 and Nov. 1, 8 & 15: Community Mice Rehearsals 4 p.m. - 5 p.m. (Rahway HS)
- Dates TBD (late October, November): Rehearsals at Princeton Ballet School (during the weekends) - Time TBD
- November (date TBD, week of performance): Costume Fitting, Spacing and Dress rehearsal (UCPAC) (during the week)
- Saturday, Nov. 19: Nutcracker performance at UCPAC – 2 p.m.
- Sunday, Nov. 20 (Sensory –Friendly): Nutcracker performance at UCPAC – 1 p.m.
There is no cost to participate; however, there may be some wardrobe/makeup costs if we do not find a sponsor for this portion of the project. If so, the maximum cost should not be more than approximately $50 total per child.
If you are interested in learning more and registering for an audition on Sept. 24, please contact Kathleen A. Smith, Educational and Community Programming Coordinator, at 732-249-1254 ext. 10 or firstname.lastname@example.org