RAHWAY, NJ - RSI Bank recently made a donation to the Merchants and Drovers Tavern Museum to aid in the renovation of the Westfield Avenue side of the building. The historic building has stood at the corner of St. Georges Avenue and Westfield Avenue since the late 1700’s when a local business man purchased the property and applied for a license to operate a tavern. By 1820, St. Georges Avenue was one of the most traveled roads in the country because it linked the cities of New York and Philadelphia, as well as Newark and Princeton. The building continued as a tavern until 1926.
Many Rahway residents will know the building as “The Old Girl Scout House” because, from the 1930s to the 1960s, Girl Scout troops from the area maintained the building as their headquarters. Today, the interior of the four-story Federal style building has been restored and decorated to its 1820s appearance. In 2013, a multi-phase project was begun to stabilize and restore the exterior of this outstanding example of American architecture.
The Merchants and Drovers Tavern Museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as the New Jersey Register of Historic Places. The building has also been recognized by the Library of Congress for its importance as an example of Federal-style architecture.
RSI Bank is an important resource to the local community, and has been since its incorporation in 1851. As New Jersey’s oldest mutual savings bank, RSI Bank has endured and even thrived during some of our country’s most challenging periods. Through it all, RSI Bank has maintained a well-earned reputation as a safe and trusted institution with “community” and “caring” at its core. RSI Bank customers have access to the company’s highly-rated Mobile Banking app, an easy-to-use Online Banking interface, a network of over 55,000 surcharge-free ATMs worldwide, and local branches in Rahway, Colonia, and Woodbridge (anticipated opening in early 2017).