UPDATED 11:45 PM
NEW YORK, N.Y., - A second refuse container exploded on the west side of New York City Saturday night, about 12 hours after a pipe bomb detonated in a Seaside Park, New Jersey in the morning.
Although city Mayor Bill de Blasio said during a press conference Saturday night there is no evidence, at his point, to link the explosions, the detonation in the city "is an intentional act."
He also said there is "no credible terrorist threat" to the city at this time.
According to the Fire Department of New York, a suspected Improvised Explosive Device (IED) exploded in a dumpster on W 23rd Street in the area of 6th and 7th avenues in Manhattan around 8:30 p.m.
Police Commissioner James O'Neill said that police officers from the 10th precinct witnessed the explosion as they patrolled the Chelsea section of the city.
He also said there is video of the explosion, and police are gathering more video from the area.
Police are reporting 29 civilians injured in the blast, one possibly critically.
Local, state and federal law enforcement agencies are currently on the scene and are investigating the blast.
Officials said that police are also checking what may be a secondary device on 27th Street in the city.
Mayor de Blasio said it does not appear, at this point, that tonight’s explosion is related to a pipe bomb exploding on the Jersey Shore around 9 a.m. this morning.
The Semper Five 5K run had been scheduled to begin shortly after 9 a.m., but the start was delayed and no runners were in proximity to the trash can when the explosion occurred.
The race was canceled after the blast, according to a press release from the U.S. Office of the Attorney General this afternoon.
We will update this report as more information becomes available.