RANDOLPH, NJ- After opening the season with two blow out wins, the Randolph ice hockey team knew that game number three against Morristown Beard would be different.

Year after year, the Crimson puts a powerful team on the ice, so this game would provide a good measuring stick for the Rams.  Scoring the first goal and the last, the Rams went toe to toe with the Crimson, earning themselves a 2-2 tie.

“We had some good play tonight, and we also went backwards in some occasions,” said Rams coach Rich McLaughlin.  Our first and third periods were good, but our second was not good. If you want to beat good teams, you have to play well all the way through.”

Sign Up for E-News

After an evenly played, back and forth start to the game, the Rams fourth line broke open the scoring with just four minutes left in the first period .  Justin Harper rang one in off the pipe and gave Randolph a 1-0 lead, with the assists coming from James Mattson and Jacob Michaels.  The Crimson would get it right back however, scoring less than a minute later to tie the game at 1-1.

In the second period, the intensity picked up as the Crimson started taking the body and controlled the puck using their physical play. The Rams responded with some big hits of their own and turned the tide back the other way.  The period ended with the game still locked at 1-1.

Early in the third Morristown-Beard took the lead when on the power play, when the puck barely trickled through goalie Scott Kimiecik’s legs.  But Zangara was there to save the day, scoring with just 3:27 left in the game from the high slot, off a feed from Max Gaudioso and Nick Gallo to earn the 2-2 tie.

Kimiciek turned away a couple of late chances for the Crimson, and registered 21 saves in the game overall.

“Our offensive play has been good so far, guys have been working hard and we have been playing with four lines,” said McLaughlin.  “A lot of different guys are getting goals so that is a big plus for us.”

The Rams hit the ice again on Thursday Dec. 7 against Mendham.