Freelance News Reporters Wanted
Posted March 2, 2020
TAPinto’s group of Union County websites is in search of qualified journalists with experience and an interest in covering county government and politics on a freelance basis.
TAPinto.net is a network of hyperlocal news websites that delivers original, objective, award-winning, community-based news, sports, events and more. Our sites are individually owned and operated in each town/territory by people who have a passion for community news.
Freelance news reporters will work with TAPinto’s town editors/franchisees in covering news to be syndicated across our Union County sites.
We are looking for someone to do the following:
- Write clean news copy on deadline
- Dig into public records for news of relevance to the county
- Conduct telephone and in person interviews as assigned
- Cover select freeholder/government meetings
- File OPRA requests
- Take basic photos/videos to go with stories
Interested candidates must meet the following criteria to be eligible for this position:
- Previous internship or news writing experience preferred.
- Excellent writing, editing and organizational skills.
- Self-starter who can take direction and contribute ideas for stories.
- The ability to work independently on projects while meeting deadlines.
- Photography and video skills a plus.
- Community development knowledge/experience a plus.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to Union County’s TAPinto sites to write and report news on a freelance basis, please send a description of your relevant experience, resume and five writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Pay rates based on experience.