RANDOLPH, NJ- In an effort to conserve water, the township adopted an odd/even lawn watering schedule for property owners served by township water.
This spells out the days and times when watering is permitted. Please take a moment to familiarize with these lawn watering restrictions which will be in effect from May 1 through September 30 of each year.
In the summer months, Randolph experiences extremely high levels of water consumption, much of which can be attributed to the inefficient and at times wasteful over watering of lawns.
In an effort to conserve water, the township council adopted new lawn watering regulations in May of 2007 for properties which receive water provided by the Township of Randolph and the Town of Dover.
These regulations impose restrictions on lawn watering during the summer months and supplement Chapter 50, Water and Sewers, of the Revised Ordinances of the Township of Randolph.
Odd/Even Lawn Watering Schedule:
From May 1 through September 30 of each year, the following odd/even schedule for lawn watering shall apply for property owners served by township water:
- Watering of properties having even numbered street addresses shall be permitted on the even numbered days of the month.
- Watering of properties having odd numbered street addresses shall be permitted on the odd numbered days of the month.
- No watering shall be permitted on the 31st day of the month.
- Watering on the above days shall be permitted during the hours from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. only.
Exemption for New Lawns
A temporary two-week reprieve from the foregoing restrictions is available for newly installed sod or seed, provided the property owner has notified the engineering department at 973.989.7066 of the installation.
Violation of the watering restrictions outlined above could result in a summons being issued to the property owner. The penalty for a first offense is $200.00; subsequent violations are more costly.
Although there may be some initial leniency while residents learn about the new rules, the ordinance does not require officials to provide a warning before issuing a summons.
Have questions? Contact the engineering department at 973.989.7066.
Enforcement of this mandatory restriction will be aggressive; violations will result in the following penalties:
- First offense: $200.00
- Second offense: $500.00
- Third offense: to be determined by the municipal court judge