As much as the Monmouth Film Festival (MFF) likes to promote local films, it also has so much love for films outside of its borders. The MFF team screams the attitude of "go big or go home,” since they strive to include as many different films as they can as they grow each year. They want everyone to experience their enterprise to the fullest and that would be impossible without creators from all regions of the world.
This international festival includes an exclusive panel that would be incomplete without industry professionals from near and far. It’s crucial for filmmakers to be able to hear different artist’s perspectives and techniques to take what works for them as they continue forming their own style. It is also wonderful for audiences to get a small peek into countries they may otherwise never see, especially through the lenses of people who actually live there. Exposure to other places and cultures makes for a more understanding world. Eventually, deep down, we all realize how similar we truly are.
Take a look at the foreign films being featured this year from Saudi Arabia, France, Germany and more:
- 3 SLEEPS - Christopher Holt // United Kingdom -based on a true story. When Mum leaves the girls home alone for the weekend, 9-year-old Casey is sworn to secrecy. But when Casey’s youngest sister falls seriously ill, she is now caught between protecting her mum or saving her sister's life. Buy tickets here!
- 48 HOURS WITH MUHAMMAD ALI - Daniel Glynn // United Kingdom -on July 18th 1974, freelance photojournalist Peter Angelo Simon, got a loud knock on his hotel room door at 4:30 in the morning. 'Grab your pants and your camera. The Champ is running'. The Champ in question was Muhammad Ali. Watch the trailer and buy tickets here!
- BLISS OF STRUGGLE - Buster Marker Jønsson // Denmark -a young boxer fights in the present, but struggles with his past. He is haunted by a figure from his past, a figure that gives him strength to overcome the physical obstacles that he is facing, but at the prize of his mental well being. Buy tickets here!
- COMING HOME - Russell Leadbeater // Australia -a young orphan is adopted and experiences love for the first time. Watch the trailer and buy tickets here!
- DUNYA'S DAY - Raed Alsemari // Saudi Arabia -abandoned by her domestic help, Dunya fights to throw the perfect graduation soirée. Buy tickets here!
- EVA - Bernardo Lopes // Portugal -Lisbon is heaven. Eva is going to have a son of Adriano. The forbidden fruit is to let yourself be loved. Watch the trailer and buy tickets here!
- FOGGY DAYS - Martin Sandin // Sweden -Stockholm 2018. In a time where social media gives us performance anxiety and confirmation is becoming increasingly important, Clara meets Peter. Clara wants the world. Peter wants nothing but to be loved. Watch the trailer and buy tickets here!
- HOT DOG - Alma Buddecke & Marleen Valin // Germany -Hannah wasn't always happy about the existence of her 'Vajayjay'. She's in a love-hate relationship with her vagina and chronicles how her feelings towards her sexuality have changed over time. Buy tickets here!
- I WILL NOT WRITE UNLESS I AM SWADDLED IN FURS - Wade Shotter // New Zealand -a fussy writer battles his large ego and high expectations to create a work of art. Watch the trailer and buy tickets here!
- PAPA - Christophe Switzer // France -how does a father explain prostitution to his eight year old son while riding in a taxi in Paris? It depends on the driver. Buy tickets here!
- PORTRAITIST - cyrus neshvad // Luxembourg -Andre meets his 8-year-old granddaughter who is about to die. The little girl lost all hope and keeps on drawing the same dead tree she sees outside her window. Watch the trailer and buy tickets here!
- SHOOTER - Andrew Carbone // Australia -a widowed hunter and single father in the Australian Outback finds himself deeply in debt and falling deeper into depression. His oldest son begins to realize his father may be running out of options. Buy tickets here!
- WHEN WE WERE ONE - Tadji Ulrich // Australia -the attraction between Amy and Will, two theatre students, is instant and it is as if they have created their own world, become one. When their world is forever torn apart, Will must find a way to hold on to Amy and for them to once more be as one. Buy tickets here!
- XIAO XIAN - Jiajie Yu Yan // Spain -Xiao Xian is in charge of finishing a dress. Her mother has decided that she is going to take care of it that night, and she obeys, as usual. Sheng Xia, her best friend, shows up at her house to convince her to go partying. Xiao Xian accepts, but she cannot imagine what will end up happening that night. Buy tickets here!
Reserve your seat now for these films and more!