RED BANK, NJ: In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the physical Red Bank Public Library is closed until further notice. We will reopen as soon as we can safely (and legally) do so. Services and programming still on offer are listed below.
- We're offering some really cool programs over Zoom this week and next week. We do NOT post Zoom links publicly, so registration is required for these events. We'll mail the Zoom link the day of the event.
- On Tuesday, May 5th, and 7:30 PM, Financial Coach Amy Greene is offering a seminar titled "Your Financial Planning in a Crisis: How to Survive and Thrive." Registration required, can be found at the link. Space is limited.
- This Thursday, April 30th, at 7 PM, Nicole Haines of the American Littoral Society is offering a Zero Waste Workshop. Registration required, can be found at the link. Space is limited.
- Our Artist-in-Residence, Joe Bergholm, is offering his monthly Artist's Workshop over Zoom tomorrow at 7. Registration required, can be found at the link.
- Librarian Mary-Ellen Mess is presenting a Happy Hour Book Club over Zoom! Bring a book you've liked lately and make yourself a cocktail and join us for a discussion. Register here.
- We had four new staff blog posts this week:
- Library Staff Member and Dietitian Judy Klavens-Giunta wrote a piece on healthy, kid-friendly snacks you can make at home during the shutdown.
- It's National Poetry Month! Members of the library staff submitted their favorite poems and share them here with you.
- Cookbook Club mediator Karen Cronin would like you to know you can check out cookbooks digitally using our 24-hour library. She even has a recommendation for you!
- Mary-Ellen Mess has handpicked a few old articles from our Red Bank Register archives, including one where a young man, after a long night out, came home and milked the wrong cow. Take a stroll down memory lane here.
- We are still offering remote programming through our Facebook and YouTube pages.
- Miss Sira continues to post a Story Time every weekday at 10:30. All of those videos are available on Facebook and on our YouTube channel as a playlist.
- Miss Jaime is offering TWO Power Play sessions a week: Tuesday at 6 PM is Power Play for Kids, Friday at 6 PM is Power Play for adults -- if you miss it the day of, don't worry! All of these are still available on Facebook.
- Week 5 of trivia starts today in our Instagram and Facebook stories! Whoever answers the most questions correctly over the course of the week will get a $25 Red Bank River Center gift card!
- We're getting really great submissions for our "Red Bank: Always Beautiful" photo contest. Submissions are going to be open for a few more months. Find submissions guidelines here. Winners can be voted on at our Facebook page (Most Likes = Most Votes) and can be viewed here.
- We're doing stay-at-home RBPL Bingo! Get Bingo and you'll be entered for a prize. Find a downloadable version of our Bingo board below!
What's still available while we're closed:
- Online Resources
- Our 24-hour library is still available. We have ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, streaming music, and streaming video all available for free for our cardholders. We also have free access to Universal Class and Rosetta Stone.
- If you do not have a library card, we are offering Temporary Cards that can be applied for online and used without coming in. Find the application form here. This is available to people who live, work, go to school in Red Bank, and teach at Red Bank Borough Public Schools.
- Our Resource pages are also still available.
- This includes our Research Databases which have sites like Novelist, which can give you a recommendation for your next book!
- It also includes our Local Resources, which may be worth revisiting in the current crisis.
- We have created a COVID-19 Resource page that we are keeping as updated as possible. It has information on current Government Restrictions, on what services are still available, and on types of relief available to Red Bank residents. This page is intended to be hyperlocal information for the Red Bank area, so please tell us if you have something you think we should add!
- We've posted an in-Spanish guide to how undocumented residents can go about getting tested for COVID-19. Please share with anyone who may need it.
- We encourage everyone to get their information on the Pandemic from reliable resources. The CDC has a resource page for the outbreak, as does the NJ Department of Health. Both are good sources of information. Also, given how rapidly misinformation spreads in times like these, might we suggest revisiting our "How to Spot Fake News" resource page?
- We are webcasting a number of programs through our Facebook Page. Like our Facebook page here and check for announcements. We hope to keep expanding this programming during the shutdown.
- You can watch our back catalog of taped programs from our "Let's Talk About Race" and "Sustainable Red Bank" series here on our YouTube Channel. Miss Sira is also posting her Story Time videos on YouTube.
- We are checking our email and social media regularly for reference questions. Reach out to us at email@example.com if you have a question need answered!
- We are regularly checking the Library voicemail. Please feel free to leave a message, and we will get back to you promptly. Phone number is listed below.
- We have left our wireless routers on at the library and we have placed WiFi extenders near the back patio by the picnic tables. You should be able to use it if you need. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS SERVICE, PLEASE PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING. That is keep 6-10 feet from all other people and wash your hands after contact with any other surfaces. You should be able to connect to our WiFi in your car from our parking lot.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer any physical materials at the time. If you have placed a hold, it is not going to come in until this is over. If you have a book checked out, our Book Drop remains open, but all items have had their due dates extended to May 15th. If we are not open by then, we will extend the due date again. YOU WILL NOT BE FINED DURING THIS OUTBREAK.
If you enjoyed this article please “Like” and “Follow” us on the TAPinto Red Bank Facebook page, and sign up for our daily e-news so you’ll never miss what’s happening in Red Bank!
And please share this article with your friends and family!