RED BANK, NJ: Dear Friends of Fortune,
Thank you for supporting the T. Thomas Fortune Foundation and Cultural Center. We are grateful for the encouragement of so many friends from the community and are excited about the awareness our work has been building beyond the greater Red Bank area. This fall, the Society of Professional Journalists designated the Cultural Center as a National Historic site, and the New Jersey Historic Trust recognized us as a heritage tourism site.
We look forward to the new year of public programming that serves to encourage thoughtful dialogue about history, race, equity, civil rights and social justice in our communities.
Our first months of operation brought:
- Hundreds to visit a preview of our permanent displays about Fortune and his contemporaries, the first pieces in our social justice art collection, and exhibits about the local jazz aficionado, Ralph Gatta, and the Afrofuturist Design show in collaboration with Monmouth University
- The production of the first video in our Monmouth County Freedom Stories Series, with support from the Monmouth County Historical Commission, featuring the story of local African American jockeys
- The 2nd Teachers' Training Institute seminar with the Two River Theater comparing the work of Fortune and playwright August Wilson
- Lectures by historians and contemporary social justice advocates, to film screenings, book club discussions, and entrepreneurship and financial literacy sessions
- Engaging young people in history and social justice through their own work as Fortune Tellers, Students and Ambassadors of Fortune's landmark home
Visit our Carrie Fortune Research Library and see T. Thomas Fortune's original book collection that will be on view in 2020, along with new exhibits and programming.
The T. Thomas Fortune Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit #815308319 / NJ Charities #CH4005300, and all donations are tax-deductible. Contributions may be made by check payable to the T. Thomas Fortune Foundation and sent to P.O. Box 2284 Westside Station, Red Bank, NJ 07701 or online by clicking HERE.
Thank you again for your support of our work to bring people together in search of common ground, understanding, compassion, and equity. There is more to do than ever before and your gift, in whatever amount you can make, will be greatly appreciated and put to good use at the T. Thomas Fortune Cultural Center.
Peace and gratitude,
Walter Greason, President
Gilda Rogers, Vice President
T. Thomas Fortune Foundation
If you enjoyed this article please “Like” and “Follow” us on the TAPinto Red Bank Facebook page, and sign up for our daily e-news so you’ll never miss what’s happening in Red Bank!
And please share this article with your friends and family!