ROSELLE/ROSELLE PARK, NJ - Homes, businesses and vehicles are frequently targeted by vandals. Damage resulting from this vandalism can range from moderate to severe and is often costly to repair.
Taking a few security measures can greatly reduce the likelihood of vandalism
occurring. Vandalism is best prevented through increased security, public awareness
and police involvement.
Please review the following steps in an effort to prevent vandalism:
1. Install motion sensor floodlights. Creating a well-lit area will deter vandals
from trespassing on the property.
2. Notify your neighbors. Whether the vandalism is being committed against a
home or business, surrounding neighbors should be made aware of any
vandalism when it occurs. Creating awareness will keep the community alert
for suspicious persons and activities.
3. Notify your local police department and file a police report for any vandalism
that occurs. Filing a police report will help document each vandalism incident
and the damage that was caused.
4. Place security cameras in areas that have been targeted by vandalism. Position
cameras so that they are out of reach and cannot be tampered with. Having a
recording of the vandalism being committed can help law enforcement identify
and catch the perpetrator.
5. Limit access to the property. Keep all doors, windows and gates locked to
prevent vandals from entering the property.
6. Neighborhood Watch. The Roselle Police Department offers a Neighborhood
Watch program. Any one interested in forming a Neighborhood Watch, please
contact the Community Policing Unit at 908 259-4005/4006.
7. The Roselle Police Department is committed to crime prevention and active
patrols throughout the community. When incidents of vandalism are reported,
a uniformed officer will respond to investigate and an experienced detective
will follow up with an investigation.
Residents of the community are the eyes and ears of the police department, so
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING!
(Courtesy of Chief Gerard J. Orlando of the Roselle Police Department)