ROSELLE, NJ - The Roselle Fire Department, along with mutual aid from many surrounding towns, responded Saturday morning to a fire that broke out in an apartment building on the 700 Block of East 3rd Avenue.
The fire started at about 6:49 a.m. and quickly engulfed the building, said authorities. Roselle Fire Chief Paul Mucha said the blaze began as a stove fire and quickly spread on the right side of the building. It eventually engulfed the whole building, he said.
“We got everyone out and there were no injuries to the residents or any of our firemen,” said Mucha. “A lot of the residents were disabled but they are all safely evacuated.”
First Ward Councilwoman Denise Wilkerson was also at the scene, along with representatives from Community Access Unlimited and the Red Cross, assisting with the displaced families who were eventually transported to another location for housing.
As of 10 a.m., firemen were still at the scene and still had lines drawn. Firefighters from Roselle Park, Elizabeth, Union, Kenilworth, Linden and other surrounding towns were either at the scene or on standby for Roselle.
Town officials and Roselle’s Office of Emergency Management (O.E.M.) were meeting at Roselle Borough Hall to help with the placement of the residents.
We will update the story as needed and more information becomes available.
Note: Some video and photo's courtesy of Luis Matos.
Sign up for our daily e-news!