ROSELLE PARK, NJ - Students and faculty were evacuated from the Aldene Elementary School early Monday morning after a possible gas odor was reported. Students and faculty were quickly taken to the Roselle Park High School for approximately an hour until the all clear had been given.
A statement from Roselle Park School District Superintendent Pedro Garrido was posted on the school districts Facebook page today.
This morning Aldene Elementary school was evacuated due to a gas smell. Students were taken to the high school auditorium with the assistance of several district Administrators and the Roselle Park police department. The Roselle Park fire department and the Elizabethtown Gas Company investigated the gas smell and declared the building safe within an hour of the incident.
The students and staff were never in any danger. Once the building was declared safe, students and staff were transported via district buses back to the building.
All activities normally resumed by 9:30am.
Roselle Park School District
According to Roselle Park Police, the gas company found no gas leak. The issue was a malfunctioning boiler. They reported that the students were transferred back to school by bus.