ROXBURY, NJ – Roxbury’s tennis courts, closed since March 16 due to concerns about COVID-19, reopened today with several restrictions, said Roxbury Township Manager John Shepherd.
Roxbury has public tennis courts at Kiwanis Park and Berkshire Valley Park.
The manager’s announcement came three days after Nassau County N.Y. County Executive Laura Curran’s televised press conference in which she discussed the re-opening of tennis courts and stumbled while discussing safe ways that players should handle tennis balls.
She said every player, unless they are from the same household, must bring their own tennis balls “so that you don’t touch other people’s tennis balls with your hands.”
Curran went on to say, “You can kick their balls but you can’t touch them,” eliciting laughter from her audience and prompting her to add, “I’m going to blush, sorry,” before forging onward.
“If you’re playing with someone from your household, you can touch those tennis balls,” Curran said as she struggled to hold back her own giggles. “To avoid confusion as to whose balls are whose, you can use a marker – like a Sharpie – to mark with an X or put someone’s initials on them.”
In his announcement, Shepherd steered clear of advice about the handling of tennis balls. The restrictions he announced:
● For tennis or pickleball use, only singles are permitted
● All participants must remain a minimum of six feet apart for social distancing
● No group tennis or lessons are permitted
● Non-players are not allowed inside fence area
● Play is limited to one hour if people are waiting to play
● People waiting to play must maintain social distancing outside fence
● Allow space for people to exit gates prior to entering courts
● Personal hand sanitizers should be used following touching of gate or any other items within tennis courts
Make sure you don’t miss any Roxbury news!
Click here to sign-up for our free, daily e-newsletter.
Want to help support local journalism and promote your business to thousands of community-minded readers? Become a TAPinto Roxbury sponsor! Call 862-259-2448 or click here.