ROXBURY, NJ - Students from Roxbury High School received top instrumental and vocal honors at recent regional and state events.
The North Jersey School Music Association held its annual Region 1 Band auditions on Jan. 7, where more than 500 students from 70 different schools competed to earn one of about 160 spots which make up two different bands.
Six students from Roxbury High School were accepted into one of the ensembles and participated in four rehearsals before putting on a concert at Parsippany Hills High School on Jan. 29.
The students who performed were Kristin Andlauer (Gr 11) on French horn, Mathew Ehrenberg (Gr 10) on trombone, Meghan Spino (Gr 11) on tuba, Kaley Ubellacker (Gr 12) on trumpet, Kathleen Walsh (Gr 11) on euphonium and Kaitlyn Winters (Gr 10) on French horn.
Other outstanding musical achievements earned include
- Kristen Andlauer on French horn at the 2016 All-State Orchestra in November in Atlantic City and NJPAC;
- Kristin Andlauer on French horn (National Ensemble) at the 2017 Music for All-Honors Orchestra in early March in Indianapolis, Indiana;
- Kathleen Walsh on euphonium (First Overall in Region 1), Kristin Andlauer on French horn (Second Overall in Region 1) and Mathew Ehrenberg on trombone at the 2017 Region Band and Wind Ensemble in January at Parsippany Hills High School;
- Kaley Ubellacker on trumpet, Kaitlyn Winters on French horn, and Megan Spino on tuba at the 2017 Region Symphonic Band Competition;
- Kathleen Walsh on euphonium (First overall in State of NJ), Kristin Andlauer on French horn (Second overall in State of NJ) at the 2017 All-State Wind Ensemble; and
- Garrett Dexter (Gr 12) on euphonium in the US Regional Ensemble at the 2017 All-Eastern Band Competition
Five Roxbury High School students were selected to sing in a 250-voice choir out of over 4,000 applicants, based on auditions for the American Choral Directors Association National Honor Choir.
Ciera Scire (Gr 12), Jade Delos Santos (Gr 12), Ryan Leibowitz (Gr 12), Austin Kurbansade (Gr 10), and Ian Hachey (Gr 10) spent four days in Minneapolis, Minnesota singing under renowned choral composer and conductor, Eric Whitacre, culminating in a concert for the American Choral Directors Association National Convention.
Additional choir honors received this year include
- Jacob Bedel-Franklin (Gr 12), Lauren Brinkman (Gr 12), Jade Delos Santos, and Ciera Scire at the All-Eastern Choir Competition;
- Jacob Bedel-Franklin, Lauren Brinkman, Alec Burns (Gr 10), Jade Delos Santos, Cassidy Gilroy (Gr 11), Bryan Gonzalez (Gr 10), Ian Hachey, Zoe Karpman (Gr 11), Hannah Kennedy (Gr 11), Austin Kurbansade, Ivan Largo (Gr 10), Ryan Leibowitz, Kyle Massage (Gr 11), Andrea Reyes (Gr 12), Richard Rohlfs (Gr 11), Chris Scire (Gr 10), Ciera Scire, and Danielle Wachter (Gr 11) at the All-State Choir Competition;
- Danny Kelly (Gr 10) and Cierrah Mouzone (Gr 10) at the Region Choir Competition; and
- Taylor Bailey (Gr 9), Amanda Melchers (Gr 9), Serah Njoroge (Gr 9), and Spencer Scalamoni (Gr 9) at the Junior Region Choir Competition