ROXBURY, NJ — Roxbury commuters who use Route 80 eastbound take note: The state is planning major upgrades to the interchanges between the interstate highway and Route 15 in Rockaway Township.
Although the project is likely have an impact on Roxbury motorists who travel Route 80 and/or frequently drive East Dewey Avenue through Wharton, the state Department of Transportation (DOT) said most of the work will take place “during off-peak daytime hours and nighttime hours.”
Construction is scheduled to begin in spring 2025 and take about four years to complete, said the DOT. The project is estimated to cost about $95 million.
Those who want to learn more, and who want to make comments, have until July 28 to view a “virtual public information center” posted online by the DOT here.
The project, now in the preliminary engineering phase, would entail the following:
- Two new ramps to connect Route 15 northbound to I-80 westbound and I-80 eastbound to Route 15 southbound
- Replacement of the I-80 eastbound bridge over the former Mt. Hope Mineral Railroad
- Replacement of the Route 15 northbound bridge over the former Mt. Hope Mineral Railroad
- Replacement of the Route 15 northbound bridge over the Green Pond Brook
- Replacement of the Route 15 southbound bridge over North Main Street Extension
- Widening of the I-80 eastbound and I-80 westbound bridges over North Main Street (CR 634)
- Replacement of the traffic signal at the Route 15 and East Dewey Avenue (CR 642) intersection
- Installation of curb ramps and new sidewalk along Route 15
The DOT said the project is necessary because the current interchange between Route 80 and Route 15 lacks a direct ramp connection “for all possible movements” between the two major highways. It also pointed to the unsatisfactory condition of the bridges that will be replaced.
More information about the project can be found here.
Make sure you don’t miss any Roxbury news! Click here to sign-up for our free, daily e-newsletter.
TAPinto Roxbury is free to read, funded entirely by business advertising.
Want to help support local journalism and promote your business to thousands of community-minded readers? Become a TAPinto Roxbury sponsor! Call 862-259-2448 or click here.