ROXBURY, NJ - Fire did extensive damage to a trucking garage in the Landing section of Roxbury today, prompting a heavy response by area fire departments.

The incident took place, in 20-degree weather, at the Prince Trucking facility at 145 Center St. Smoke was reported coming from the top of the company's large garage and shop building shortly after 3 p.m., said Roxbury Fire Chief Kirk Keyes.

He said firefighters from all three Roxbury fire stations as well as from other municipalities including nearby Netcong, Mine Hill, Mt. Arlington, Budd Lake and Flanders came to the scene.

Sign Up for E-News

"Everyone worked well together and did a great job," said Keyes. He said one temporary problem involved a hydrant near the building.

"Because of the cold temperature, the one hydrant out front was frozen, but we always tie in two hydrants," said the chief. "The secondary hydrant we tied into was fine and gave us enough water to knock down the fire."

A line from a Netcong fire engine was also used in the initial knock-down, Keyes said.

As of 5:45 p.m., no flames were showing, but smoke was still coming from the structure. Keyes and Roxbury Fire Department Third Assistant Chief Robert Hackett said there were no injuries. Hackett said the building is likely beyond repair.

That assessment was shared by the owner of the structure, John Wicklow. "I think it's destroyed, he said in a telephone interview. 

Wicklow, who leased the structure to Prince Trucking, said it appeared the fire started in the building's shop, probably in the furnace area. He said there were workers there at the time, but he said he has no reason to suspect foul play was involved. Representatives of Prince Trucking, which Wicklow described as being "a model tenant," could not be reached for content.

Keyes would not speculate on the fire's origin. He said the cause is being investigated. According to the Breaking News Network, which  monitors emergency services radio broadcasts, Roxbury police asked that arson investigators from the Morris County Prosecutor's Office come to the scene.

Wicklow said the fire-damaged building is about 12 years old.