Dear Editor:

As of June 4, 2020, 80% of Scotch Plains households have responded to the 2020 Census, exceeding the response rate we obtained in 2010 at this point. While this is an excellent achievement, we still need to get the remaining 20% of Scotch Plains households to respond as soon as possible.

Census counts determine federal funding for health care, schools, and roads in our community, which fuels community resources like hospitals, school meals, and programs and services for seniors. The COVID-19 pandemic has underscored the importance of these programs. If our households don’t complete the Census, we’ll lose out on our fair share of federal funding.

Sign Up for Scotch Plains/Fanwood Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Census timelines have been extended and there is still time for you to respond. You can still fill out your questionnaire online at 2020census.gov or over the phone at 844-330-2020 or mail it in. U.S. Census Bureau workers will begin following up with households who have not responded in August. But completing the Census now will help ensure our community is represented and funded for the next ten years. Also, it’s important to note that even if you lost or misplaced your Census form you can still go online or complete it over the phone.

To help spread the word about the importance of the Census, the Scotch Plains Complete Count Committee continues to work with nonprofits, faith groups, businesses, and the school district to spread the word. But we all need your help to make sure Scotch Plains counts for the next ten years.

Here’s how you can help:

  • Remind five family members or friends to complete the Census to ensure a fair share of funding and representation for their communities, schools, and hospitals. Everything you need is provided right here to start making calls, including a call script: https://nj.gov/state/census-outreach.shtml 
  • Post a #CensusSelfie on social media to remind your networks to complete the Census and explain why the Census is important to you.

Take ten minutes to fill out your 2020 Census online today at 2020census.gov. Scotch Plains is counting on you to do your part to help our community get what we deserve.

Al Smith, Mayor (Chairman of Census Complete Count Committee)
Roc White, Councilman (Council Liaison to Census Complete Count Committee)
Tom Strowe, Project Coordinator for Redevelopment & 2020 Census