FANWOOD, NJ – The Fanwood Grille (34 So. Martine Ave.) is bringing BACONFEST to downtown Fanwood on Saturday, Sept. 2, in celebration of International Bacon Day. For one day only, the eatery will feature a variety of bacon-inspired items, including bacon cheeseburgers, deep fried tempura bacon, and bourbon bacon bites.
According to FoodHolidays.com, in Roman times, bacon was eaten not only at breakfast, but also at dinner. It was popular because it was inexpensive, easy to cook, and very tasty. From Rome, it spread to Germany, where it was known as “Bak,” and eventually as “bacoun.”
Bacon made its way to the Americas when Hernando de Soto brought 13 pigs to the Americas in 1539. (Within three years he had a herd of 700.) Over the years, the popularity of bacon continued to grow. In 1924, Oscar Meyer applied for and received a patent for packaged, sliced bacon and began selling it to the American public. Over $4 billion dollars of bacon was sold in 2014, and sales continue to increase. Bacon is now considered one of the most popular foods in America and across the globe.
The Fanwood Grille’s BACONFEST menu for Saturday, Sept. 2:
- Bacon and Cheddar Omelet (served with home fries and a biscuit): $8
- Bacon-wrapped, foot-long Fanwood Grille Dog with frizzled onions and aioli mayonnaise (served with Jersey Shore fries): $8
- Bacon Cheeseburger (served with Jersey Shore fries): $10
- Grilled Chicken House Salad with Crumbled Bacon: $9
- Cobb Salad with Crumbled Bacon: $9
- Loaded Potato Salad (with chopped eggs, onions, and crumbled bacon): $4
- Tempura Bacon (batter-dipped, deep fried bacon drizzled with Teriyaki sauce): $5
- Bourbon Bacon Bites: $5
- Paul’s Candy Bacon (pecan-smoked bacon baked in brown sugar and black pepper): $5
- Bacon Ice Cream: $2
“BACONFEST is a must,” said Matt Russomanno, 19, of Cranford. “I’m definitely coming back to The Fanwood Grille for it.”
Fun Facts about Bacon
- 53% of American homes keep bacon on hand at all times
- New York and L.A. America's consumers of bacon
- The average American eats 18 lbs. of bacon a year
- A 250 lb. pig will yield approximately 23 pounds of bacon
The Fanwood Grille
34 So. Martine Ave.
Fanwood, NJ 07023
Editor’s Note: TAPintoSPF owner John Mooney is an owner of The Fanwood Grille.