FANWOOD/SCOTCH PLAINS, NJ -- The College Club of Fanwood–Scotch Plains recently awarded a total of $29,500 in scholarships to 11 students, six of whom are graduating high school seniors this June and five of whom are currently attending college.
Since its inception in 1933, the College Club of Fanwood–Scotch Plains objectives have been to increase the interest of local young women in going to college, and to provide “material aid” by way of scholarships. To date the College Club has awarded approximately $630,000 in scholarships.
Among the 2017 high school recipients for academic year 2017-2018 are:
- Fizzah Ehsan, daughter of Raffat Ayub and Saeed Alam who received $2,000 and will be attending The College of New Jersey;
- Claudia Gentile, daughter of Kevin and Lisa Gentile who received $3,500 and will be attending Villanova University;
- Julia Guarneri, daughter of William and Anne Guarneri who received $3,500 and will be attending the University of Virginia;
- Hayley Howell, daughter of Philip and Holly Howell who received $3,000 and will be attending the Rochester Institute of Technology; and
- Alexis Marta, daughter of Joseph and Melissa Stryker and who received $3,000 and will be attending The College of New Jersey.
- Caroline (Carlie) McNichol, daughter James and Judy McNichol, the highest ranking female of the class of 2017 at Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School, received an award of $1,000.00 in recognition of her academic excellence. Carlie will be attending Georgetown University.
Among the 2017 college recipients for academic year 2016-17 are:
- Nada Amer, daughter of Mohamed Hammad and Sahar Alezabi who received $2,000 and will be a senior at Kean University;
- Elizabeth Gelling, daughter of Christopher and Linda Gelling who received $3,250 and will be a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology;
- Elisa Staniec, daughter of George and Lorraine Staniec who received $3,500 and will be a junior at The Pennsylvania State University;
- Gabriela MacPherson, daughter of Gordon and Martha MacPherson who received $3,500 and will be a sophomore at The College of William; and
- Mary Rachel Lambert, daughter of James and Janet Lambert, who received $1,250 as the recipient of the Elaine Carman Special Scholarship donated by her family in honor of her milestone birthday and will be a sophomore at Susquehanna University.
This is the 81st year that female students, seeking financial assistance to pursue a four-year college degree, have been helped by the club’s fundraising efforts. Two of the club’s largest efforts are the annual spring luncheon and the sale of the community calendar.
A special dinner reception was held for the recipients and their families on Monday, May 22. Club President, Dorothy Lusk, and Scholarship Committee Co-Chairs, Tish Isack and Marie Walford made the scholarship presentations at the dinner. Dorothy Lusk and Tish Isack presented the awards at the SPFHS annual awards assembly.
The College Club hosts monthly informative programs presented by guest speakers on the third Monday of every month September-May; free and open to the public at the Fanwood Presbyterian church. Anyone interested in more information about the College Club of Fanwood-Scotch Plains or would like to become a member please contact the membership committee at 908-889-9194 or visit the club’s website at www.collegeclubfsp-org.doodlekit.com.