FANWOOD, NJ – Fanwood’s economic development director Liz Jeffery hosted a small business roundtable for local business owners on Wednesday evening at the Fanwood Grille to update them on developments impacting the borough’s downtown area.
- Station Square at Fanwood (35 townhome style rentals with 7 affordable units) – Developer Landmark has received building permits. Based upon progress to date, Landmark expects to have 18 of the units renting in 4th quarter 2018 and the remaining 17 in early 2019.
- Frank’s Auto Body – Expansion began in December with significant exterior improvements made to conform with the aesthetics of the newer buildings in the area.
- 1 South Ave (former Young’s Paint property) – New owner, Empire Properties and architect James Guerra have presented the project concept drawings for a mixed use project of approximately 25 residential units over retail 1,200 sq. ft. of retail and parking. A site plan application was filed on Aug. 31, 2018.
- Commercial Corridor West – The Borough has received a grant for streetscape improvements and the overall pedestrian connectivity in that corridor (between Terrill Road and the Fanwood Train Station). Fanwood has contracted with Phillips Preiss Grygiel Leheny Hughes LLC for planning services in the Old South Ave. area of Commercial Corridor West to determine how to best to revitalize the area. A draft of the study is underway and is expected to be reviewed by the Planning Board in September.
- Rice Inn -- There is a new tenant in the former Rice Inn space. Construction is underway.
- Edward Jones has leased the former Be Craftful space at Fanwood Crossing.
Jeffery updated the group on the Borough’s new Discover Fanwood business webpage, which features a business directory that lists places in Fanwood where residents and others can shop, dine, and receive services. The site also includes a page with advice on how to open a business. Additionally, Fanwood has organized a series of events, Saturday Mornings in the Plaza, for residents to enjoy.