FANWOOD, NJ -- Fanwood's Business Redevelopment consultant Liz Jeffery reported on the progress being made in the Borough's downtown area on Monday, July 7, 2019.
Station Square at Fanwood (35 townhome style rentals with 7 affordable units)
- Building 1 (8 units) is fully occupied.
- Building 2 (8 units): four apartments are rented, 3 moving in mid-Jan, 1 other in Feb.
- Building 3 (8 units): five units are rented, moving in between end of Feb and early April.
- Building 4 (4 units): two units are rented for April/May occupancy.
- Building 5 (7 affordable units): ready for Q2.
*timeframe subject to delays
Ponzio Building (35 Second St.)
- Construction is ongoing, and interior work is underway.
Frank’s Auto Body (South Martine Ave.)
- Expansion is in progress. Interior work ongoing with final site work in Spring 2019.
Former Young’s Paint Property (1 South Ave.)
- The new owner, Empire Properties, and architect James Guerra have presented the project concept drawings for a mixed use project of approximately 26 residential units over retail 1,200 sq. ft. of retail and parking. A site plan application was filed on 8/31/2018.
Lightbridge Academy (15 South Ave.)
- Officially opened on April 16, 2018, Lightbridge currently has over 100 students and 18 employees.
Former A&P Building (105 South Ave.)
- Planning is underway for a residential project with street level retail component.
Commercial Corridor West (Terrill Road to Train Station on South Ave.)
- The Borough would like to ensure coordinated design and planning relative to the South Avenue TAP grant streetscape improvements and the overall pedestrian connectivity in that corridor. Additionally, the Borough also would like to have a comprehensive plan for the Old South Avenue area due to the multiple developments occurring in that section of Commercial Corridor West.
- Phillips Preiss Grygiel Leheny Hughes LLC presented the "Old South Ave Area in Need of Redevelopment Study" to the Planning Board on September 26. The study found that the area meets the criteria for an Area in Need of Redevelopment. The Borough Council designated the Old South Ave Area an Area in Need of Redevelopment on October 15, 2018.
Former Be Craftful Space (Fanwood Crossing, 250 South Ave.)
- The space has been rented by Edward Jones. Move in is expected January 14.
For 2019, the Business Roundtable meetings will be held every two months and will alternate evening and morning. A Roundtable meeting was held on Wednesday, Nov. 28, at the Railside Cafe. The next meeting will be held on January 23rd at 6:30 p.m. at Fanwood Grille.
Saturday Mornings in the Plaza
The Borough created and new public program for residents to enjoy Downtown “Saturday Mornings in the Plaza.” A variety of community activities to be held each Saturday morning from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 Noon in the pedestian plaza area between Fanwood Crossing I (Railside Cafe) and Fanwood Crossing II (Monk's) for 8 weeks in spring/fall. Programs will be free and offered by local organizations or artists, etc.
Eight Saturday morning events occurred this fall. The events are announced in the Borough's Friday enewsletter. The spring will bring 8 more. New events are being discussed for 2019.