FANWOOD, NJ -- The Fanwood Business Roundtable received an update on downtown development from Fanwood's redevelopment consultant Liz Jeffery on Wednesday, June 13, at Railside Cafe (formerly Mara's).
The biggest news is the installation of benches, planters and trash bins on the Fanwood Plaza located behind the retail stores on South Ave. and South Martine. The Plaza was the site of last week's Ladies Night Out that attracted 300 women from Fanwood, Scotch Plains, and as far away as Princeton.
"We could not be more pleased with the energy and success we are experiencing right now. It was many years of planning and hard work," Jeffery told the business owners. "The success of our recent events and the vibrancy of the business community are evidence that it was all worthwhile."
Jeffery reported that construction continues at Frank's Auto Body (corner of South Martine and La Grande) and the Station Square development at the corner of Second St. and La Grande). The Station Square project entails 28 market rate rental units and 7 affordable housing rental units for a total of 35 residential units. It is expected to open sometime in the fall.
Jeffery also highlighted upcoming Fanwood events, including:
- Lightbridge Academy will host its formal ribbon-cutting on Saturday, June 16, at 10:00 a.m.
- Vine Ripe Market - will host the Greater Westfield Chamber of Commerce's happy hour networking event on Wednesday, June 20. There will be a mozzarella-making demonstration, food samples and wine tasting. GWACC members are $10, and prospective members $15.
- Nick's Pizza - celebrates its 6th anniversary by offering plain cheese pies at $6.20 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. on June 20.
- Party in the Park (kick-off for the Fanwood Summer Movie series at La Grande Park) on Tuesday, June 26, from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. Despicable Me 3 will be the featured movie at 8:30 p.m.
- Rocko's Ice Cream - celebrates its two-year anniversary on Sunday, July 1.
- FanJam Food Truck and Music Festival takes place on Saturday, July 8, at La Grande Park.
- Fanwood Eye Care - marks its one-year anniversary in August. Tuesday, Aug. 7, will host a "trunk show" from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Fanwood Grille - holds its first anniversary celebration on Saturday, July 7, includes $1 hot dogs and fountain sodas (eat-in only)
- Fanwood Pharmacy - Celebrates its second anniversary on Saturday, August 25.
"We are always looking at ways to engage the community here in downtown Fanwood. It would be fun to host a 'Dancing Under the Stars' event on the new plaza," added Jeffery. "We are also looking forward to the annual Fanny Wood Day on September 16."