FANWOOD, NJ - Urgent URGENT UPDATE: POWER ONCE RESTORED IS OUT AGAIN
At approximately 4:30pm today, a section of Fanwood's northwest quadrant, which had power restored yesterday, went dark again, including the Borough Hall, police, fire and rescue squad headquarters. All automatically switched to backup generators. A number of homes are also dark again. PSE&G tells us they believe this is actually a part of the larger process of bringing more people online-- taking down power temporarily on one circuit to bring others, and eventually that circuit, back on.
Many residents are calling Borough Hall and Police Headquarters, but the place to call is the PSE&G customer hotline, 800-436-PSEG, to find out what's going on with your power. If we get a definitive explanation, we will, of course, publish it here.
At today’s 10AM briefing by PSE&G, utility officials again said that the Fanwood/Scotch Plains/Westfield area was particularly hard hit because of the number of downed wires involved. Crews from around the country are here, working to restore power, which is returning in dribs and drabs. However, we are keenly aware of the areas where residents are without power-- going on 10 days-- with temperatures in their homes in the low 50’s.
Mayor Mahr and Chief Trigo are working with PSE&G crews on the ground and progress is being made. But, for those still in the dark, it’s obviously not enough. Warming stations continue to offer comfort and the county shelter in Cranford still has plenty of room.
THE NEXT WEATHER EVENT
The National Weather Service is forecasting a storm that will arrive in our area tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon, bringing a mixture of rain, wind and possibly snow overnight into Thursday morning. A High Wind Watch is posted for the period with wind gusts of up to 50 MPH possible.
With overnight temperatures expected to dip into the upper 20’s and low 30’s, some residents may require shelter.
- Union County shelter, Cranford Community Center, 220 Walnut Street, Cranford. They recommend you call ahead, 908-709-7283 (press “2” for the shelter). Bring your own bedding and medications. Pets are welcome.
- Fanwood Memorial Library, North Avenue and Tillotson Road (9AM-9PM, 20 minute limit, WIFI)
- Fanwood Rescue Squad, 123 Watson Road (9AM-5PM, NOW OFFERING WIFI)
- Chelsea Senior Living, 295 South Avenue (9AM-8PM, warming only)
TREES AND POWER LINES
In response to numerous inquiries about whose responsibility it is to remove trees:
- Any tree down on a primary power line (the main power lines on poles), call PSE&G, 800-436-PSEG.
- Shade (borough) tree down on a service power line (from pole to your home), call PSE&G, 800-436-PSEG.
- Tree on private property on service power line (from pole to your home), call PSE&G, 800-436-PSEG to turn off power, then private tree service.
FIRE AND POWER SAFETY
If your power is currently off, PLEASE make sure your electric stove/oven is off so that when power returns, and you're not at the stove, it won't be a fire hazard.
MUNICIPAL COURT CLOSED THURSDAY
Call 908-322-6750 to reschedule.
An announcement on when Scotch Plains-Fanwood public schools will open is expected later today.
IN AN EMERGENCY, ALWAYS DIAL 911