FANWOOD, NJ -- Mayor Colleen Mahr has been named among the Best 50 Women in Business Awards for 2017 by NJBIZ.
Mahr, who earns $1 annually to serve as Mayor of Fanwood, is Director of Business Development for DMR Architects, based in Hasbrouck Heights. She joined the firm in June 2015 to enhance DMR’s relationships in the public sector. Mahr has worked in economic development for almost 30 years since 1989 starting in the City of Jersey City. While in Jersey City, she managed the establishment of the city’s first charter school, the Golden Door Charter School.
She spent 1999-2003 working as Director of Development for Mosaica Education, a private company promoting charter schools throughout the U.S. Her project accomplishments included strategic plan development, site selection, construction oversight, and liaison work among the School Board of Trustees, Mosaica Education, and local government officials.
From March 2014 – June 2015, she worked for the County of Union as the Head of the Division of Strategic Planning and Intergovernmental Relations, where she oversaw the Bureau of Transportation Planning and Bureau of Planning and Economic Development. In this role, Mahr worked with municipalities in Union County to retain and create jobs, and seek state and federal funds for economic growth.
"I am very honored and humbled to be recognized by NJBiz for the work I do in both the private and public sector," said Mayor Mahr in an interview with TAPintoSPF. "I consider myself very lucky to be among such successful women and the accomplishments that each makes to this great state of New Jersey."
Mahr is currently serving the second year of her unprecedented fourth term as mayor. Of 565 municipalities statewide, she is one of only 73 women mayors in New Jersey and one of the longest serving. She has overseen the transformation of downtown Fanwood, starting in 2004 and continuing today with the two final parcels slated for construction in 2017. Her leadership on this front earned the Fanwood a "Smart Growth Award" in 2014 and recognition in both editions of the New Jersey Handbook on Redevelopment. This success was also recognized in a May 2014 “Living In Fanwood” feature of The New York Times.
As a mother of three boys ages 14 and under, she proudly shares her story as she serves as a role model for other women.
Winners of the NJBIZ Best 50 Women in Business Awards were chosen from all across the state, in a wide variety of industries and career paths. They include C-suite executives, educators, entrepreneurs and others. In addition to this year’s class, NJBIZ has chosen a winner of a special Lifetime Achievement Award, who will be honored at our awards ceremony.
The NJBIZ Best 50 Women in Business Awards for 2017 (alphabetical) are:
- Leslie Anderson - Title: Executive Director, Company: New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Location: Trenton
- Agnes Antonian -Title: Partner, Company: Connell Foley LLP Location: Roseland
- Abby Ayoub - Title: CEO, Company: Optical Academy Location: Clifton
- Anne S. Babineau - Title: Shareholder, Company: Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer P.A. Location: Woodbridge
- Addy Bonet Title - CEO, Company: Jewish Vocational Service of MetroWest NJ Location: Livingston
- Mary Ann Christopher - Title: VP, Clinical Operations and Transformation, Company: Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Location: Newark
- Meg Columbia-Walsh - Title: CEO, Company: WYLEI Location: Jersey City
- Chris Costello Title: VP - Technical Sales & Engineering, Company: AT&T Location: Bedminster
- Jeanne Cretella - Title: President, Company: Landmark Hospitality Location: Jersey City
- Christine D'Agostino - Title: VP, Operations, Company: Carpenter Contractor Trust
- Patricia Daquila - Title: Senior Tax Advisor, Company: Lassus Wherley Location: New Providence
- Alfa Demmellash - Title: Co-founder and CEO, Company: Rising Tide Capital Location: Jersey City
- Linda M. Doherty - Title: CEO and President, Company: New Jersey Food Council Location: Trenton
- Jill Draper - Title: President, Company: Marketsmith Inc. Location: Cedar Knolls
- Nana Duncan - Title: Co-founder, Company: TD + Partners Location: Maplewood
- Henrietta Fuchs Title: Senior Manager, Company: CohnReznick LLP Location: Roseland
- Carleen Gaskin - Title: Partner, Company: WithumSmith+Brown P.C. Location: Paramus
- Jill Gateman - Title: Executive VP, Company: PNC Bank Location: East Brunswick
- Toba Grossbaum - Title: Co-founder and COO, Company: Friendship Circle/Life Town Location: Livingston
- Carolyn Hall - Title: Director of FWRD Services, Company: Wiss & Co. LLP Location: Livingston
- Maureen Hassett - Title: SVP, Governance, Communications and Strategic Initiatives, Company: NJ Economic Development Authority Location: Trenton
- Jennifer Kay - Title: Managing Partner, Company: The Stevenson Group Location: Fort Lee
- Bethmara Kessler - Title: SVP – Integrated Global Services, Company: Campbell Soup Co. Location: Camden
- Galit Kierkut - Title: Member, Company: Sills Cummis & Gross P.C. Location: Newark
- Caryn Kopp - Title: "Chief Door Opener," Company: Kopp Consulting Location: Bedminster
- Kris Kucsma - Title: Principal and Senior Economist, Company: Sobel & Co.; Sobel Tinari Economics Group (STEG) Location: Livingston
- Jane Lally - Title: VP, Aon Hewitt Global Operations & Technology, Company: Aon Hewitt Location: Bridgewater
- Kathleen Lally - Title: VP Investor Relations, Company: PSEG Location: Newark
- Colleen Mahr - Title: Director of Business Development, Company: DMR Architects Location: Hasbrouck Heights
- Mary Makfinsky - Title: SVP, Regional Treasury Management Company: Wells Fargo & Co. Location: Summit
- Roseann Mazzeo - Title: Sister Company: Women Rising Inc. Location: Jersey City
- Kathy Naasz - Title: Dean for Social Media Center of Expertise, Company: Centenary University Location: Hackettstown
- Jayne O'Connor - Title: VP of Communications, Company: Taft Communications Location: Lawrenceville
- Lisa Osofsky - Title: Partner, Executive Committee Member, Company: Mazars USA LLP (formerly WeiserMazars LLP) Location: Edison
- Camille V. Otero - Title: Director, Real Property & Environmental Department, Company: Gibbons P.C. Location: Newark
- Hetal Parikh - Title: President, Company: Rangam Consultants Inc. Location: Somerset
- Lorraine Salvo - Title: Managing Director/Client Advisor, Company: Massey Quick & Co. LLC Location: Morristown
- Asha Saxena - Title: CEO, Company: Future Technologies Inc. Location: Plainfield
- Maria Sheridan - Title: Senior Director, Government Affairs and Business Development, Company: Morristown Airport/DM Airports Ltd. Location: Morristown
- Jenna Smith - Title: Managing Partner and COO, Company: Smith Design Associates LLC Location: Morristown
- Lynn Spence - Title: SVP, Director of Human Resources, Company: T&M Associates Location: Middletown
- Deanna Sperling - Title: CEO and President, Barnabas Health Behavioral Health Center Company: RWJ Barnabas Health Location: Toms River
- Sherrie String - Title: Chief Human Resources Officer, Executive VP Company: Hackensack Meridian Health Location: Hackensack
- Gale Tenen Spak - Title: Associate VP, Company: New Jersey Institute of Technology Location: Newark
- Eva Turbiner - Title: CEO and President, Company: Zufall Health Location: Dover
- Amy Valentine - Title: CFO, Company: Sferra Fine Linens Location: Edison
- Kim Vierheilig - Title: VP, Company: Lan Associates Engineering Planning Architecture Surveying Inc. Location: Midland Park
- Susan Vitale - Title: Chief Marketing Officer, Company: iCIMS Location: Matawan
- Janice Warner - Title: Dean, School of Business & Digital Media, Company: Georgian Court University Location: Lakewood
- Linda Wellbrock - Title: Founder and CEO, Company: Leading Women Entrepreneurs Location: Clinton
The 2017 event will be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m. March 20 at The Palace at Somerset Park, 333 Davidson Ave., Somerset.