SCOTCH PLAINS-FANWOOD, NJ, -- The 2016 Fanwood-Scotch Plains Memorial Day Parade Committee has announced the bands will participate in the parade this year on Monday, May 30.
- St. Columcille Pipe Band was founded in October 1949 by Sean McGonigal. It is registered with the Eastern United States Pipe Band Association and has a long tradition of bringing class and grandeur to various public and private events.
- The Metropolitan Festival Band has performed throughout the tri-state area for over 10 years and is known for its accomplished musicians and respect of Italian band traditions. The band performs at Italian feasts, parades, carnivals, picnics, fairs, parties, and other special events.
- The Moonlighters Band is comprised of talented musicians who play with a swinging, big band style.
- The Westfield Community Concert Band is among the longest standing community bands in the United States with continual playing since 1912. While its principal role is that of an artistic music ensemble, it also performs at parades and other local events.
- Scotch Plains Fanwood High School Marching Band is a multiple award-winning marching band that has won numerous state championships.
- Scotch Plains Fanwood High School RhythmSense, led by Joseph Reo, includes snare drum, bass drum, timpani, cymbals, and all mallet instruments. The percussion group performs a wide variety of music which includes jazz, pop, and Latin.
Memorial Weekend Activities
Memorial Day Concert (Sunday, May 29)
The fifth annual Memorial Day Concert will take place on Sunday, May 29, at the Alan Augustine Village Green on Park Avenue, adjacent to the Scotch Plains Municipal Building, beginning at 6:30 p.m. The Westfield Community Band will play patriotic tunes and traditional marches. The program will include the reading of letters written by members of the U.S. military to their loved ones back home.
Memorial Day Parade (Monday, May 30)
A memorial service and presentation of wreaths begins at 9:00 a.m. at the Fanwood Memorial Library at 5 Forest Road. A memorial tribute and laying of wreaths will take place at 10:00 a.m. at the gazebo on Park Avenue and Front Street in downtown Scotch Plains.
Starting at 10:45 a.m. at the gazebo, the 2016 Memorial Day Parade will proceed along Park Avenue to Martine Avenue into downtown Fanwood, where it will end at LaGrande Park.
The annual Memorial Day parade is funded by the Township of Scotch Plains and the Borough of Fanwood. The concert is presented through the generosity of local donors – individuals, businesses and community organizations – that underwrite the expenses of staging the concert. Donation checks can be made payable to: Memorial Day Parade Committee, Township of Scotch Plains, 430 Park Ave, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076. For questions about donation levels, call (908) 322-6700 x 313.